Online School

eriset

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've had a couple friends ask me to do their wedding photos so that they can save money (I'd be doing it for free). But, I'm kind of nervous. I don't want to screw up someone's wedding...even if the wedding is informal and probably outside. I would feel more confident if I took some kind of photo course that specifically addressed weddings. I've taken a couple years of Photography in High School but nothing but the basics were really covered. About a year ago I looked into NYIP but I canceled it because I couldn't listen to those cds with out going nuts (one of the ladies on there pissed me off and was terribly annoying). Any suggestions? I have 2 little boys so I can't readily return to a local college to take a more traditional course.

Thank you!

Here is what I've got:
Bodies: N70, D40
Lenses: 18-55 kit lens, 55-200, .45x adapter
Flash: sb-600

I see there are not replies. Is there a rule that we can't talk about schools? If so, I'm happy to get emails discussing it at [email protected].

thanks.
holly

I see there are not replies. Is there a rule that we can't talk about schools? If so, I'm happy to get emails discussing it at [email protected].

thanks.
holly

No, but it is known (if you look at other threads) this forum doesn't really look at amateurs shooting weddings fondly. I'm surprised you didn't get any "just say no" type comments. Or, "are you prepared to ruin their once in a lifetime shots!"

However, I am in the same boat, shooting a wedding in 2 weeks for free and have been doing a lot of looking on the web for ideas, hints etc...and I've bought just about every wedding book and posing book on Amazon, plus joined different sites that have wedding hints and videos. They all basically say the same thing, which is know basic portraiture photography and lighting for formal shots and be on the lookout for those special moments for photojournalism style (and watch the light).

I've taken engagement photos of the couple and test photos of another couple in the backyard where the wedding will be and my biggest hint would be find a test couple and practice poses, even if they don't want "formal" photos. A lot of the "not posed" shots are really posed! It was a good learning experience to try and pose in some of the traditional wedding photos and not have them look goofy, or be too far apart etc...I got some great ones that we will use the poses, and some that I just can't direct the couple to look natural. I have another test couple later this week. (I had wedding books w/sample poses that I wanted to try as well as shots printed from the internet). It was also good experience working with the flow from one photo to the next. And, since my wedding is in the evening outdoors, I've been taking a lot of outdoor, evening pics with my flash and diffuser to see the best settings. Fortunately, I should get all the group shots before the sun goes down. Oh, before the wedding I'll type everything up and have my "shot" list before I go.

If you want more info on sites I've looked at and books I liked the best, e-mail me at [email protected].

Lisa

www.proudphotography.com

They have a course for the basics which you WILL need to do, then once that is mastered, do their wedding photography course.

Good luck.

(this is all I will say about inexperienced amateurs doing something as challenging as weddings)

(this is all I will say about inexperienced amateurs doing something as challenging as weddings)

Ha Ha, I know, you don't have to say it, I've been reading on this site a few months now...:lol:

Ha Ha, I know, you don't have to say it, I've been reading on this site a few months now...:lol:

Dammit, its bad when new users know what I would REALLY want to say but bite my tongue to be polite... lol

thanks guys. My friends know I'm nervous about ruining things but asked me to do it anyway. I think it's the kind of thing where if I don't do it, then it will just be snap shots from random family members kinda thing. I'm not a complete newb either.

....thanks again. Even to the people who bite their tongues to be polite.

I see wedding photogs on judge judy a lot
clear.gif

Most reactions

Back