Opinion: Color or B&W

RokyRoc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I wanted to see your take on whether this picture is better in color or b&w.

P1020729-1.jpg

P1020730-1.jpg

Thanks

COLOR! those colors are vibrant dont get rid of em, but play with the contrast on the BW and see what happens?

Last edited:
I like the colour better too. I think the b&w would work better if the leaves weren't in focus.

I am leaning towards the color
but if you messed with the B&W setting in Photoshop u could maybe get some better results

I like the color version myself, but if you like the black and white, I would play with it in Photoshop some more. It looks midtone rich to me.

Derrick

color.... in BW, the flower gets lost in the background, and its hard to tell when where the flower "ends"

IMHO
-H

Both are a bit boring, but choosing between them isn't a fair fight because the black and white conversion is all wrong. If you aren't gonna do a better conversion then I'd stick with color.

Colour! Do some basic level and curves on it and those colours will really pop..

Colour! Do some basic level and curves on it and those colours will really pop..

That doesn't mean anything. You don't "do" curves or levels. You can do anything in the world with them. How does "do some curves" imply what one ought to do?

:thumbdown:

That doesn't mean anything. You don't "do" curves or levels. You can do anything in the world with them. How does "do some curves" imply what one ought to do?

:thumbdown:

You say this, but your original comment poo-pooing the B&W had about the same substance in it - which is zero.

The color shot is better. B&W isn't necessarily bad in flowers, but I've rarely seen it done well. Maybe a little bit more contrast: do a google search for LAB Color and Contrast, and you'll find some tutorials on how to pop some of that out.

You say this, but your original comment poo-pooing the B&W had about the same substance in it - which is zero.

The color shot is better. B&W isn't necessarily bad in flowers, but I've rarely seen it done well. Maybe a little bit more contrast: do a google search for LAB Color and Contrast, and you'll find some tutorials on how to pop some of that out.

First, you don't know much about lab color. Get off my D.

Second, you've obviously spent way too much time on the internet if you think there aren't many great black and white photos of flowers in existence.

Third, if you want to stand up for someone you should explain why they're in the right. I said her answer wasn't substantive. If you think it was then say so any why. Trying to make me out as some kind of hypocrite isn't a real response, either.

First, you don't know much about lab color. Get off my D.

Nope, and never said I did. I know enough to get what I want out of a photo, and don't mind aping what others use it for as well. Now as for its intended use, no sir I'm not in the print business, nor do I care.

Second, you've obviously spent way too much time on the internet if you think there aren't many great black and white photos of flowers in existence.

That. Or, I just don't think flower shots look too hot in black and white. Pesky god damned opinions!

said her answer wasn't substantive. If you think it was then say so any why.

Actually, I think his/her answer was a knee-jerk quick fix based on their limited use of Photoshop. That however, has nothing to do with my comment to YOU, which was based on your original snark filled bullshti response which had ZERO in the way of "Hey you did this wrong, here's what you need to do to fix it" and more "You did it wrong. Leave it to the pros or just dont post at all."

But then again, this is your m.o. - print nerd strolling into the Photography Basics forum, and ****ting on each and every thread that doesn't live up to your standard. And please, don't say otherwise, because all we need to do is check out your responses here and in other threads on this first page. We get it, you get off on this **** - how about taking it someplace where you'll actually get a response from a mod or the posting public, instead of slinging your crap around here where you know it wont get a real response?

No? Didn't think so.

Definitley colour. It's rare that pictures of flowers look better in B&W.

just my opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back