Opinions about Lenses, Perceptions-The Positive and Negative

AlanKlein

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
A tripod will improve the performance of any lens. In fact, I'd say a tripod makes the worst lens better than the best lens hand held.

mrca

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alan, a tripod helps with camera shake but not other lens qualities like microcontrast, bokeh, color, 3D rendering. My cameras in studio live on a rolling stand with a quick release. At a decent shutter speed, it gives tack sharp images, ie, no motion blur that might not be noticed on a monitor but in a larger print, it will reveal motion blur you might not have seen otherwise.

flyingPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
proper technique it critical, however some things are not fact, only myths created by a persons experience.

Example, you have a person doing an article for a hunting magazine. cant sight a rifle in at 50 yards after using 80 rounds of ammunitionand call the rifle and the scope junk.
Then you have an actual shooter come along, install the scope properly, put the rifle on a rolled up blanket, use 10 rounds to sight in at 100, and then use standard military off hand sling positions and score hits on 10 inch gongs at 2-300 yards with it.
is the gun or scope junk

mrca

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Flying, to extend your example, that works with most rifles at 100 or 200 yards, but when a sniper is trying for a center mass shot at 3/4 mile, that requires a weapon and ammunition with fine tolerances and someone behind the trigger with the skills to judge distance, wind, humidity and have breath and heartbeat control. It is the difference between being an ok shooter and one that produces the absolute best results. And thats shooting guns or cameras. There aren't any one mile kill shots with a rifle from Walmart or Costco or by someone with minimal skills. And like photography, if a less skilled shooter takes hundreds of shots, eventually he might hit the target.

Grandpa Ron

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have long ago reached the opinion at above a certain price point; cameras, guitars and other musical instruments, golf clubs, fly rods and such, are pretty much selected because of the nuances of the the different models.

By the time a person is ready to buy a high level camera, they know what they like in the feel, heft, ease of menu selection, lens selection for their type of photography, and a host of other personal preferences. Hence, good or best is judged by person priority.

I am of course bypassing those that are looking for pride of ownership or status.

However, there is a degree of comfort in knowing the high dollar camera, probably can do whatever may wish it to do at some future time.

Most reactions

New Topics