Opinions needed, buying used camera and lens.

deannamb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been browsing for a few weeks for a new to me DSLR to add to my equipment for back up and for additional lenses for ease on shoots. I currently have a Canon 20D with the kit lens and a 70-300 telephoto lens.

I found this ad for a 30D and a pretty nice lens in my price range (under $500). Not familiar with this lens so informed opinions would be great. Also, any ideas of questions to ask the potential seller would help. I have a list but I may have forgotten one.

Thanks yall!

Looks like a kit lens. A 2-digit D + lens for that kind of price seems a good deal, no?

Last edited:
There are few differences between the 20D and the 30D. They are basically the same camera, except that the 30D has a bigger screen and I think a spot metering option...basically just a face lift.

I have the 17-85mm IS lens. It's somewhat better than the 18-55mm kit lens and the expanded range is very handy. It still has the small max aperture of F4-5.6, so it's not the ideal upgrade. Even though I do have better lenses, like the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, I still use the 17-85mm on occasion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back