What's new

Opinions on my Flower Photography

Eccedustin

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone. Here are two of my favorite photographs of Flowers that I have taken. Let me know what you think or what I can improve on. Thanks.



564828_336380846429050_271980079535794_832838_1446106288_n.jpg








560381_336382383095563_271980079535794_832886_1928507535_n.jpg
 
Hot and soft.

Areas of improvement:

1. Focusing
2. Aperture selection for desired DOF for a given subject
3. Composition- Change your angle of view to reduce blown background, IE shoot a flower thats lit by the sun, in front of a dark/shadow area.
4. Exposure
 
Could you expand that a bit? Tell me what I could do with Focusing specifically. Also, How would the aperture affect the DOF in the pics? Now for #3, do you mean that the background itself is distracting and should be visible or should be less visible?

Also, What about exposure could be improved?

Thanks.
 
Play around with this calculator to get an idea of what aperture will do for your dof. Your exposure seems to be a bit too bright for my taste.

For #3, what I meant was, move around until the background has less light hitting it than your subject flower. You may have to wait until an hour or two before sunset before the light is right.
Here is an example, the photo is hit by the sunlight, but the background is dark (its the shadow of a bush).
785699175_m8Qv7-S.jpg
 
Play around with this calculator to get an idea of what aperture will do for your dof.
No link to a calculator. And your topic links in your signature say page not found.
 
O.K., Dustin, probably the first thing you should decide is; are you going to take a picture of a group of flowers or are you going to take a picture of a flower? Once you have that in mind, then you can move on to composition, focus, lighting, et al.

BTW: what is on the roses? Looks like something we should watch out for.
 
Here is one with the background less pronounced...

View attachment 8680


The photo is flat -- it appears to have a haze over it. This is because the tone response is compressed. If you examine the histogram for this photo you see that the graph falls short of the left corner by a substantial amount.

You don't have your OK/Not OK to edit tag set, so I'm going to go ahead and assume it's OK and include an illustration. Let me know if you'd prefer I remove it.

In the bottom photo I made a Levels correction to re-distribute the tone response.

Joe


flower16.jpg
 
Thank you Joe. What could I do in the original photo, while taking the picture, to improve this sort of thing?

I used a fuji film point and shoot from 2004 while holding up an old micro lens from the 1970s to it to zoom in on the flower.
 
Thank you Joe. What could I do in the original photo, while taking the picture, to improve this sort of thing?

I used a fuji film point and shoot from 2004 while holding up an old micro lens from the 1970s to it to zoom in on the flower.

Probably not much -- this is classic camera JPEG-engine failure. You could try variations on the camera settings for things like contrast/saturation and you could try slight exposure tweaks with the EC control but for the most part you'll just trade one camera failure for another camera failure. The software in your camera can't see and the only thing you can consistently count on it doing is screwing up.

Bottom line: If you shoot camera JPEGs then you learn to repair camera JPEGs.

Joe
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom