What's new

Opinions on my Flower Photography

Well, flower shots are plentiful this time of year. These don't stand out.

Try using a more shallow DOF and get better/more interesting angles.
 
Do you have any tips on good angles for flower photography?
 
Both your images background are blown out. An off camera flash would help control the light when the sun is not so high.
 
Picture #1: the angle of view is way to shallow, causing a somewhat distorted view. The water drops are to small, and look more like a fungus then water. DOF needs to be much shallower. Your background is in focus to the point that we can see everything, and thus becomes distracting to the viewer.

Picture #2: No real point of interest. DOF issues as in picture #1. Looks over exposed. Poor cropping. Try cropping out the entire background, as it helps, but still there is no real subject to focus on.
 


Just read your faucet analogy for exposure. I'm a visual learner, so being a noob I've read about that, but that visual has given me a solid understanding! Thanks!
 
When I focused on the Roses the background was still in focus. I couldn't get the background out of focus any more. I used a Point and Shoot.
 
When I focused on the Roses the background was still in focus. I couldn't get the background out of focus any more. I used a Point and Shoot.

You can't do much more with P&S then general snap shots. Close ups, controlling DOF or varying exposure is way past what they're capable of of doing. You could and should step up to a good bridge camera like Nikons D500 or D510. You can do a lot more with it, and control your picture decisions to produce quality photographs. They only take JPEG pictures, which a handicap when it comes to editing.

Asking for help, and how to become a better photographer without having the basic tools, just won't work.
 
I work with and try to do the best with what I've got.

I realize that. But when you don't have the basic tools to do the job correctly, no amount of effort will correct those inefficiencies. That's just a fact of life. Not a criticism of you. You're much better off working within the limited capabilities that your camera affords you.
 
I work with and try to do the best with what I've got.

There's nothing wrong with using a P&S camera. Fuji makes some excellent compact cameras that are very capable. It's not the camera it's what you do with it. Here's a couple photos all taken with a little shirt-pocket Sony I used to carry. It was an auto-only P&S. Most amateurs with DSLRs do far worse.

Joe

flowers3.jpg



flowers2.jpg



flowers1.jpg
 
For a P&S, it's a nice set. Some of your pictures suffer from the same issues of lack of DOF control, while in others the background is so far away that the presets create the Bokeh effect that you're after. My point is that he nor you can control those functions that let you determine the final composition. What I said was that he needs to live with/ work within the restraints of the camera. Doing that and exploiting those presets, will more often then not result in the best pictures that the camera can produce under those given circumstances.
 
For a P&S, it's a nice set. Some of your pictures suffer from the same issues of lack of DOF control, while in others the background is so far away that the presets create the Bokeh effect that you're after. My point is that he nor you can control those functions that let you determine the final composition. What I said was that he needs to live with/ work within the restraints of the camera. Doing that and exploiting those presets, will more often then not result in the best pictures that the camera can produce under those given circumstances.

No, you said this:

"You can't do much more with P&S then general snap shots. Close ups, controlling DOF or varying exposure is way past what they're capable of of doing. You could and should step up to a good bridge camera like Nikons D500 or D510. You can do a lot more with it, and control your picture decisions to produce quality photographs. They only take JPEG pictures, which a handicap when it comes to editing."

And I posted 6 photos that demonstrate otherwise. I used a pocket Sony WS-150 for each of those photos. It had auto/program/scene modes only but it did have EC control as most P&S cameras do. The photos are much better than snapshots; They are close ups; I nailed each exposure and I got the DOF that I expected and wanted.

Joe
 
For a P&S, it's a nice set. Some of your pictures suffer from the same issues of lack of DOF control, while in others the background is so far away that the presets create the Bokeh effect that you're after. My point is that he nor you can control those functions that let you determine the final composition. What I said was that he needs to live with/ work within the restraints of the camera. Doing that and exploiting those presets, will more often then not result in the best pictures that the camera can produce under those given circumstances.


No, you said this:

"You can't do much more with P&S then general snap shots. Close ups, controlling DOF or varying exposure is way past what they're capable of of doing. You could and should step up to a good bridge camera like Nikons D500 or D510. You can do a lot more with it, and control your picture decisions to produce quality photographs. They only take JPEG pictures, which a handicap when it comes to editing."

And I posted 6 photos that demonstrate otherwise. I used a pocket Sony WS-150 for each of those photos. It had auto/program/scene modes only but it did have EC control as most P&S cameras do. The photos are much better than snapshots; They are close ups; I nailed each exposure and I got the DOF that I expected and wanted.

Joe

Did you really read both posts. They basically say the same thing, just in different ways.

Lets just drop this conversation since it's going around in circles. If you're satisfied with the results you get from using a P&S, then that is all that matters. What it is, it what it is.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom