Opinions on Upgrading requested!

I went from the D5200 to a D750. Shadow recovery, high ISO performance, the focus system, etc, all great. Only thing I don't like is the tilt screen which wasn't designed well for photography. It sounds like you've got the money, but you want to make an educated choice. Anyways, that's my suggestion.

One of the things that's drawn me to the D750 is the tilt screen. Not as great as it sounds?

I went from the D5200 to a D750. Shadow recovery, high ISO performance, the focus system, etc, all great. Only thing I don't like is the tilt screen which wasn't designed well for photography. It sounds like you've got the money, but you want to make an educated choice. Anyways, that's my suggestion.

One of the things that's drawn me to the D750 is the tilt screen. Not as great as it sounds?

It's alright. If you're using the D750 high up or low down, you can use the tilt screen. Compared with the D5200's tilt screen, the D750 tilt screen just seems a little strangely built (almost flimsy), and it doesn't rotate around.

The 3 lenses you have are inexpensive entry-level grade DX lenses that compromise image quality, range of adjustment, and do not project an image circle sufficiently large to fully illuminate a full frame (FX) image sensor.

Nikon's FX camera bodies are set by default to automatically detect a DX lens has been mounted on them.
When a DX lens is detected the camera only uses a DX size, central portion of the larger FX image sensor.
That automatic DX sensing can be turned off but as mentioned you'll have some amount of vignetting of every photo if you use DX lenses.

As mentioned you can use FX lenses on your DX D3200 camera.
So I agree that upgrading your lenses is the next logical step rather than upgrading to a full frame FX Nikon camera body.

Nikon's AF-S 24-70 mm f/2.8G lens is an FX lens.
Many wedding photographers pair that lens with a Nikon AF-S 70-200 mm f/2.8G VR II lens.
Nikon's DSLR lenses web site page has a column (the 6th column) that shows the Lens Format (DX or FX) for each lens they currently make.

Thanks for all of the opinions everyone! After some consideration and talking with a friend who shoots for the local newspaper I think I'm going to hold off on going full-frame and instead put the money towards better lenses, and possibly a slightly newer body (but maybe not).

Most reactions

Back