Opinions on using flash for high school basketball

At the very least make sure that you don't pop a player directly in the face. I shoot motocross events which at times require a flash, however I really have to watch that I don't shoot someone head on. Temporarily blinding a rider on the track could have disastrous consequences.

At the very least make sure that you don't pop a player directly in the face. I shoot motocross events which at times require a flash, however I really have to watch that I don't shoot someone head on. Temporarily blinding a rider on the track could have disastrous consequences.

For you and him, if he dumps the bike and it lands on you.

FWIW, I was never bothered by flash when I played. But I also didn't have people on the baseline under the hoop trying to get a shot.

For you and him, if he dumps the bike and it lands on you.
Don't even have to blind them for that to happen...

I lost the article leading to a study that was done a long time ago about the effects of strobed lighting on vision. Basically it came down to a direct line of sight flash within 15 feet would affect vision temporarily blinding the subject, but flash from an agle or a distance farther back had no affect on the vision of the subject. From angles and distance it was more of a concentration/distraction issue. It mainly has to do with the short duration of the strobe which us so fast that eyes do not have time to react to it.

Flash is not allowed in some sports not becasue it blinds the participant, but because the strobscopic effect can cause a distraction or in the case of a gymnast disorientation.

A simple way to think of it is, when you accidentally fire your flash off right in front of your face you see the spots for a few seconds, an actual issue with the vision being affected. Yet, when you get flashed from across the room you don't see the spots.

I lost the original article on this when my computer fried back in July's thunderstorm, I will dig around to see if I can find it somewhere. Something titled along the lines of "vision and sports", I had scanned it in from a text written before things were so freely posted on the internet.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back