Orions Belt for C&C

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't really do these shots but here is my attempt. What do you think?

_DSC0079_edited-1.jpg

f/1.8
50.0mm
7.500 s
ISO 100

Eric
I see what looks like city sky light towards the bottom of your shot.
How far were you from 'light pollution'?

What time of night did you shoot this?

Also, was it windy?

I see your 'night classes' are working out nicely. ;)
It is pretty cool to take a shot of Orion's Belt, and actually be able to see it. Nice job, I am sure you will be really good at this in no time.

That's really nice but isn't the top of the constellation cut off? Not a big stargazer so I'm not too sure.

Does look like a lot of ambient light in the distance towards the bottom of the photo. I've never tried doing this and yours is a better result than I'd expect for myself if I tried for the first time.

I`m confused :confused:,
I just saw a post that said to use a large F-stop, small aperture for night shots with dark sky.

cs- you may have seen that, and eric may not have seen that.

People who don't always do night sky shots don't exactly know the "rules" that go along with it, or they might just set their own settings in manual so they can get what they think looks good.

Rules in photography for the most part are really just guidelines to get you started. Most rules of photography are breakable at one point or another :)

At rule is breakable because if I were to use a high f stop number the I would have had to hold the shutter open longer resulting in a star trail which I did not want.

At rule is breakable because if I were to use a high f stop number the I would have had to hold the shutter open longer resulting in a star trail which I did not want.

Was this image taken hand held ? If not why would you expect star trail with longer shutter speed...
Just seams like it should've been a sharper image. Hope you take noob cc with a grain of salt cause Ive never attempted an image like it. But I've taken interest in it.

...... why would you expect star trail with longer shutter speed...
Because the Earth rotates on it's axis and with longer shutter times you get star trails even if the camera is mounted on a tripod.

There seems to be a very odd glow around the trees for some reason. It looks almost like an effect you'd get from a bad HDR ...

Eric
I see what looks like city sky light towards the bottom of your shot.
How far were you from 'light pollution'?

What time of night did you shoot this?

Also, was it windy?

I shot toward the west and it was taken around 9pm. That's about an hour after sunset here. I think most of that is what is causing the light. I live pretty far out in the country. I don't recall it being windy.

That's really nice but isn't the top of the constellation cut off? Not a big stargazer so I'm not too sure.

Yes, I believe the top of the constellation is cut off. But I couldn't fit it all in the frame with the trees like I wanted.

Was this image taken hand held ? If not why would you expect star trail with longer shutter speed...
Just seams like it should've been a sharper image. Hope you take noob cc with a grain of salt cause Ive never attempted an image like it. But I've taken interest in it.

Have you not ever noticed how the stars move across the sky at night even if you stand in one spot?

Because the Earth rotates on it's axis and with longer shutter times you get star trails even if the camera is mounted on a tripod.

Precisely

There seems to be a very odd glow around the trees for some reason. It looks almost like an effect you'd get from a bad HDR ...

It could possibly have been the sunset but I couldn't wait to take the picture because the constellation was setting also.

LOL this is good stuff. :lol:

Thanks, I appreciate your comments !
never thought that the few seconds would make such a difference in movement.
....gaining knowledge without trial and error :er: lol

astrostu, maybe you could give me some tips on how to make a shot like this better. I have a client that wants to purchase a picture of the constellation.

Nice capture Eric!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back