orton in ps?

mommyof4qteez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm sure there's many ways to achieve a bit of the orton look in ps, I duplicate the layer, add Gaussian blur, set to overlay and set it down to about 5-8%... is there any certain way that just overall works/looks better?

It's been a while since I've heard about the Orton effect (gag).

If you think about the original Orton Effect in the darkroom, you need two over-exposed images, one blurred and the other sharp. Then, you'd take the slide and sandwich them together. Multiply mode might work better, provided that your images are brighter than the anticipated result. One thing you could try is applying a curve or levels adjustment layer to both the sharp image and it's duplicate soft counterpart, then undoing this adjustment in an adjustment layer that affects the overall image. What may be interesting about this technique is that you can control some tonal differences between the sharp and unsharp version for tighter control over the effect.

Gag? Lol I'm not wanting the blurry dreamy crap effect...just a very subtle orton effect :) thanks, I will try what you suggested...

The trick in trying to give you a recipe for Orton is that the effect is image size dependent (primarily the blur amount). Assuming a web/screen target image of 1024 pixels:

Take your sharp image and dupe the layer. Use Levels in Photoshop and set the midpoint slider from 1.00 to 1.75. Switch to the dupe layer, use Levels in Photoshop and set the midpoint slider from 1.00 to 2.00. Apply a Gaussian Blur to the dupe layer of about 4.0 and then set the blend mode for the dupe layer to Multiply. All values can be tweaked.

Here's an example: I posted this white rose up over the weekend.

22759d1350175113-oh-who-would-inhabit-bleak-world-alone-last_rose2.jpg

And here's the Orton version:

Joe

Attachments

• $orton_rose.jpg
    $orton_rose.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 87
some versions of PS have an Orton filter

Yeah mine just does under guided & it looks awful and you cannot adjust much on it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back