Osprey!

Civchic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm only posting this here because "OMG OSPREY" and also to show others what they, too, can achieve with 250mm and birds that fly very very high and far away. :)

june 7 osprey by civgirlca, on Flickr

Also, because birds make fun of me. My boy is a junior birder and when I told him that someone had been taking pictures of an osprey (like an eagle, but different and hunts fish, I tell him) at Grindstone Creek, he insisted we go. I told him we may not see the bird. We got there, I got him out and sunscreened him up (he's 4 by the way), went back to the car for his sister, and...

KID: I see the eagle!
ME: Seagull honey.
KID: NO THE EAGLE.

I hear the unmistakeable sound of 7 or 8 500mm lenses swooshing into position, look where he's pointing, and sure enough, 100 freaking yards away Mr Osprey tucks his wings, swoops down, nails a sunfish, and lazily floats away to munch it.

Camera? Oh that thing? Yeah, still on the front seat of the car.

:) :) :) LOL. One of the most entertaining reads I've had in a long ..... long time Mel :)

Ha. Unusual that one day there was Steve (500 F/4), Boney (300 F2.8 + 2x TC) Chris (400 F2.8), Brian (100-400) and me (500 F/4.5) all chatting away at the estuary, they were all facing my way and guess what, I saw a Hawk behind them real close, I said "Hawk !!", they all turned around and the sound of the shutter bursts going off was was incredible for about 5 seconds :). Steve with the 1DX took 73 shots, I took around 20. Hate to think what the rest took, LOL. Ahhhh none of mine were any good at all.

Anyway, good on you Mel and your 4 yr old has a good eye. Well done BTW.

All the best Mel and a huge thanks for the smiles.

Danny.

I was happy eating my hot noodles while I was reading your post ... I will soon sue you for a million bucks for the hot noodle soup on my chin and nose....(Aka..McDonald suit...):lol:

Thanks for the story and the morning laugh...

I was happy eating my hot noodles while I was reading your post ... I will soon sue you for a million bucks for the hot noodle soup on my chin and nose....(Aka..McDonald suit...):lol:

You paid a million bucks for a cup of hot noodles? Those must have been some darn fine noodles. Lol

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

You paid a million bucks for a cup of hot noodles? Those must have been some darn fine noodles. Lol

Aw come on...that old lady sued McDonalds for over a million bucks for the hot coffee spilled on her lap...remember her?

Dang! that noodle's really hot....:grumpy:

Aw come on...that old lady sued McDonalds for over a million bucks for the hot coffee spilled on her lap...remember her?

Dang! that noodle's really hot....:grumpy:

Hard to forget. Now I can't buy coffee that isn't luke warm or colder and every place that sells it has huge signs everywhere warning me that coffee is hot. Next thing you know they'll make me start signing a waiver with every order.

LOL you guys.

Danny, the kiddo is actually pretty impressive with his bird eye. Obviously he's been, erm, indoctrinated into the love (but isn't that what children are for?) but he has got amazing eyes, especially for birds of prey. He can spot the difference between a turkey vulture and a red-tailed hawk while soaring. But he does always call gulls Eagles. LOL.

Another funny story with him was at the marsh, we were standing near another photographer and my boy points and says "Look, Mommy, a great blue heron!" and the photographer laughed and said "Most kids say "Look, a big birdie!" He's a bit noisy for birding but he's enthusiastic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back