Out damn spot! (DSLR Sensor Cleaning help needed)

ozbot87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I have developed a pretty nasty case of spots on my sensor. I have tried blowing out the sensor the sensor brush, wiped the sensor (or tried to) using camera-specific cotton swabs and cleaning fluid, and even tried to use the sticky dust cleaning wands to pick up any stray particles...I'm still seeing faint spots!

Is some faint spotting normal? Or should I send the camera to be professionally cleaned?

No, 'some spotting' isn't normal. What model of camera? Professional cleaning isn't normally needed, but it's possible that you may have picked up some oil from the shutter (certain models of camera had issues with this (D7000, D600) in early production. Can you post an image or two to help trouble-shoot?

I have a Canon 100D/SL1.

Attached is the image with the offending spot. $spot.jpg

Upload size was extremely small, so please let me know if you require a better quality file.

Wet clean with sensor swabs from Adorama.. Its not a big deal to do the cleaning yourself. I have a d600 and have to clean about once a month...

hard to even see the spot on your sample image (or perhaps it's just difficult to see on my work monitor). but if i'm seeing it right the offending spot looks pretty round and smooth. stuff on the sensor is usually pretty well defined (sharp edges) as that stuff will be clearly in focus. are you using the same lens for these test shots? could be something on the rear element. try a different lens and see if it goes away.

I had to send a Nikon D7100 Back with the same type if spot. The Nikon service cleaned the sensor, checked the camera and up dated the filmware. The camera was under warranty and there was no cost to me. The only thing is that you no longer have the camera while it is out for repair.

I don't worry about spots unless they become problematic at apertures I commonly use... I.e., I don't worry about spots that show up at f/22

Most reactions

Back