Outdoor family portrait with flash

I was using an on-camera flash with a bounce card using TTL @ -2.7EV for a little fill. It failed to fire a couple of rapid succession shots and you can really see the difference.
I was pretty amazed that after 120 flash pops in 20 minutes at 1/2 power on a Godox TT600 speed light, I didn't get a single misfire. I guess that's one of the few upsides of shooting my own pictures - the intervalometer guaranteed 3s between pops.

Great self family photo.. amazing feat!

Great job! Love the location and your son has a beautiful smile.

Those of you who have known me a while have seen that I am a glutton for punishment, and try to take my own fall family portrait each year. I recall last year when @tirediron said "To me this always seems like a doctor performing his own surgery", and I still agree.

One of the biggest challenges I have had with outdoor portraits is getting to the location at the appropriate time; once a young kid is in the mix, trying to stick to a schedule can be a lost cause. This year I found a location with a lot of open shade and brought a flash with me to use as a key light, giving a much long window of time to work with.

D500 with AF-S 50mm f/1.8
50mm, 1/250s, f/4, ISO 80

Exposed for ambient, 38" octobox above and camera left for key light

20191019-DSC_5141b
by adamhiram, on Flickr

Pull-back shot to show lighting. Nothing too interesting, just a softbox on a light stand with a sandbag to keep it from tipping.

20191019-DSC_5211a
by adamhiram, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing this family portrait. Very nice balance of ambient and fill light.

I'm hoping to get ours done as soon as the weather clears here in Dallas. Your efforts encouraged me to get busy and arrange all of the moving parts of the family in order to make it happen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back