What's new

Outdoor Flash Battery

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
529
Reaction score
3
Location
Belleville, IL, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love the full flash outdoor effect, and we're wanting to do some of this, but our little speedlite's aren't cutting it. We have the strobes that we use in the studio. Which batteries do you guys use for outdoor flash? We're looking for something that works without spending a fortune. Suggestions?
 
The Innovatronix Explorer 1200 is the one I bought. It has two 115 volt AC outlets, and looks professional. It is a 100 percent pure sine wave inverter,and will easily power all of my Speedotron flash equipment.

I wrote a blog article on portable power options in the summer of 2008. You can read about the Innovatronix Explorer 1200 here Derrel's Photography Blog: Powering Studio Flash On Location:Tronix Explorer 1200 Ws and here is a listing of the company's products
Innovatronix Incorporated | Products & Services

Innovatronix also builds portable DC systems for powering laptops and printers outdoors!

Paul C. Buff makes the Vagabond II portable pure sine wave inverter. It has only one AC outlet and is lower-powered than the better Innovatronix model, but it also costs less, although the weight is basically the same as the Innovtronix products at right around 18 pounds.
AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment
 
Looking at the AlienBees setup, that may be what I end up going with. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is whether it will work with my existing softboxes.
 
Looking at the AlienBees setup, that may be what I end up going with. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is whether it will work with my existing softboxes.
You don't need to use Alien Bee (or White Lightning) lights, in order to use their Vagabond battery. It's just a power source, so you could plug in your existing studio lights (and thus your existing softboxes etc.)

I 'made' my own. It wasn't a whole lot cheaper than a Vagabond (mostly because I bought a $60 charger) but it weighs about half as much, which makes it easier to tote around during an outdoor shoot.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ucts-news-reviews/177686-ghetto-vagabond.html
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom