Outdoor Gowns - Critique?

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a TF* shoot a couple days ago - testing my new 580EXII - I'm still getting the hang of it. The designer I did the shoot for didn't seem to happy with the shots. I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice and critique? Thanks!!

mojan01.jpg

mojan02.jpg

mojan04.jpg

FYI - The model wasn't a pro, but a friend who stepped in when the pro didn't show up.

P.S. I did VERY minor retouching on her skin and a little saturation on the peach dress.

Your shots are beautiful. That said, The DOF is way too sharp..The gowns should be up front and center in so much as the photo should not depict the "lively" back drop so vividly. That would have clinched the pics.
Although the designer likely couldn't deal well with having a substitute model.

I agree, the backgrounds are just too sharp for this kind of a shot. I mean, the shots aren't bad as is, they just aren't great. I think you did a good job with lighting, although the fact that you used flash is pretty obvious on the last shot, and I've heard that for outdoor portraits, you don't want to be able to tell if someone used a flash right off. But I mean, that doesn't really detract from the photo as much as the sharp backgrounds do. These aren't bad photos, by any means, nor are they great. But they're good. These are good, solid photos.

i think the shots would be better if u tightened the frame and just got ur model in the pic without everything else around her....if that makes sense

Thanks everyone! Good advice! I think you're right about the DOF and the background being too sharp. Have to work on that. Also, closing in tighter would help as well - I think I really was trying to get the background in focus since it's so green and nice. Next time, focus on the garments. Rookie mistake :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back