outdoor photography tips

carsonli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm going out for my first photoshoot (it's not professional, just with a friend)

we're going to an awesome garden / park (edwards garden in toronto)

i was wondering if there are any tips you guys could give me? i've mostly only shot inanimate objects and still a beginner for any sort of advanced lighting. any advice is good, questions i generally have are:

1) is a softbox necessary for this event, i'm shooting starting 10 a.m
2) what are tricks i can do to get the model to look where i want
3) any particular set of good settings i should use?
4) is there a softbox i can get that works with my flash?

i really like bokeh pictures, i have a canon t1i, 50mm f1.8 and a 24-70 f2.8, canon 430 exII, gary fong lightsphere collapsable / amberdome

thanks guys!

1. Without knowing the conditions that day, it's impossible to say what will be required as far as lighting goes. I would have at least two strobes/speedlights and a reflector available. I would suggest starting a little earlier though, maybe arrive at 7.00 and plan for an 8.30 start?

2. Sure, tell her. It's called 'directing'. Know what you want to shoot before hand, explain it, rehearse it (including test shots), review the test-shots and then go for it.

3. Again, without knowing the conditions, the desired results and a number of other factors, it's impossible to guess. As a general guideline, long, fast glass at large apertures is most common in portraiture.

4. Probably; if not, make one. I would think the Fong-dong lightsphere might do the job.

"Bokeh" is NOT a type of photograph, it is a word which has been coined to express the manner in which the out of focus elements of an image are rendered by a particular lens.

Remember to check your locations carefully, select homogenous, even backgrounds which will contrsat sufficiently with the model and costume.

Make sure you have permission and permits as necessary since something like this is often considered "commercial" work by the uninformed.

Good luck!

1) not required but could help. I prefer shoot-through umbrellas myself. Cheaper and more simple would be a good size reflector and use the natural light.
2) uhhh just tell her?
3) us Aperture priority if you want shallow DOF, but whts the point in a nice garden if you arent going to show it off?
4)Lumiquest makes some small ones tha might help, but off camera flash if the way to go. If you cat go wireless, rely more on reflectors.

Also, leave the gary fong crap at home. its gonna be a waste outdoors.

1) not required but could help. I prefer shoot-through umbrellas myself. Cheaper and more simple would be a good size reflector and use the natural light.
2) uhhh just tell her?
3) us Aperture priority if you want shallow DOF, but whts the point in a nice garden if you arent going to show it off?
4)Lumiquest makes some small ones tha might help, but off camera flash if the way to go. If you cat go wireless, rely more on reflectors.

Also, leave the gary fong crap at home. its gonna be a waste outdoors.

Last edited:
Softboxes and reflectors aren't required, but they can aid in delivering better results.

Oh....... and a few extra pairs of hands too. :lol:

929956036_cFEYf-XL.jpg

937722801_8dQEa-XL.jpg

If you're using flash(es) you will be limited by your x-sync speed ~1/250s. At your time of day, you might want to bring along an ND and possibly a CPL filter if you plan to shoot with a larger apeture (small number) to create the bokeh you're fond of. These filters will reduce the amount of light hitting your sensor, thus allowing a wider apeture.​

Softboxes and reflectors aren't required, but they can aid in delivering better results.

Oh....... and a few extra pairs of hands too. :lol:

929956036_cFEYf-XL.jpg

937722801_8dQEa-XL.jpg

If you're using flash(es) you will be limited by your x-sync speed ~1/250s. At your time of day, you might want to bring along an ND and possibly a CPL filter if you plan to shoot with a larger apeture (small number) to create the bokeh you're fond of. These filters will reduce the amount of light hitting your sensor, thus allowing a wider apeture.​
good call on the ND filter.:thumbup:

awesome response guys, thanks!
okay suppose the weather is sunny. cause if it rains or it's cloudy we'll probably cancel it.

i was thinking about buying a strobe / softbox for this event, any suggestions?
i already have wireless transmitters. i actually have an additional flash i can use, which is equivalent to the 430 EXII, any recommendations for where to put them?

i guess i was just worried that if i got a softbox, if i absolustely need a strobe, like can i just use my flash for now until i can afford better things?

and yeah, from lumiquest, i was looking at this

LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | Softbox III

I'm going to echo tirediron here about the permission/permits issue. I'm assuming you've done your homework/research on if it's public/private and what photo restrictions they may have. Many private places will restrict using off-camera equipment like softboxes, lightstands, etc. It would royally suck if you went with all your stuff only to be rebuffed :(

I have 15" softboxes from Alzo Digital and a 24" EZY Box softbox from Lastolite for my hotshoe flash units. The Lastolite is the bomb. It has an inner diffuser (detachable) as well as the outer diffuser which is recessed. It folds up small. It produces very good light. Make sure you get an adapter ring for whichever softbox you decide on. In the picture above you can see I also have an extendable handle..... great for location shoots with an assistant, no bothering with light stands.

aweomse thanks everyone. i'll triple check for the permit.
thanks kundalini.

remember this isn't a professional shoot or anything. i guess it's more like my friend wants to learn how to be a model, and i want to learn more about photography, which is why i keep asking about the softboxes.
ill look into more options, thanks!

Most reactions

Back