Over Editing?

Donald Harvey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you know for sure when you have over-edited your picture, I know it's possible but how do you know exactly when you over edit it? It may look good to me but maybe not to others?

I have not done a lot of editing, but my thoughts would be that if you do something, and have been working on it for a while, set the edited picture aside, and come back to it later. It may look good at first, but once you take a break, you may come back and find that it no longer looks right. I think if your a beginner, then your eyes could get tricked.

I have not done a lot of editing, but my thoughts would be that if you do something, and have been working on it for a while, set the edited picture aside, and come back to it later. It may look good at first, but once you take a break, you may come back and find that it no longer looks right. I think if your a beginner, then your eyes could get tricked.

I agree, I usually take photos I really like and make them my desktop wallpaper for a week. If I've grown bored of it or start noticing things that need fixing I'll make the changes, and extend the week with it. Sometimes helps... other times it's like that skunk who never smells his own hole - been there too.

From my experience, if the question "Have I over-edited this?" ever pops into your mind as you are workring on an image, chances are that you have indeed over-edited it. I always keep my original image in a separate group in my Photoshop layers and place a copy of that original in it's own group for editing. That way, all I have to do is hide the edited group to be able to see what I originally started with. Being able to see that can most times make over-processed areas jump out at you.

You've overedited it when it looks like this:

http://a740.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/36/l_37bb3d573d18b6c32720eda3aee19cb3.jpg

You should be able to tell what looks pleasing and what doesn't. Hopefully.

bahaaa... that is an interesting work of art....

op - i suppose there would be two schools of thought..

#1 If you are shooting and editing personally that it really doesn't matter as long as you are happy and satisfied with your image

#2 If you are shooting and editing professionally then what reg said... you should be able to tell what looks pleasing and what doesn't... hopefully....

Editing should not get in the way of the subject... any editing that distracts the viewer from the intent of your image would be considered bad...

Thanks for the information guys and girls!

#1 If you are shooting and editing personally that it really doesn't matter as long as you are happy and satisfied with your image

#2 If you are shooting and editing professionally then what reg said... you should be able to tell what looks pleasing and what doesn't... hopefully....

I agree. If you like it and it's just for you or you want to display it as artwork then it's all up to you how much/little you wanna edit. If it's for other's keep in mind who your target viewers are and what they might like.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back