Fyi, You have come along way from just 2 weeks ago, when Over Exposure was obvious
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...2045-my-long-exposure-picture-too-bright.html
Now, you are getting more detailed and more fine in making that exposure more proper.
It's just experience and being critical of your own photos. And you are getting there ... as you learn more, you become more critical of your own photos.
Just practice practice practice especially on one stationary object and playing with the exposure levels.
Your 2 pictures are worlds better than from the other thread.
After you get the exposure turned down a bit you will then probably look at the colors to see if "what is in" your photo is "what you see in your eyes".
That's where I went after my exposures got good. making the colors what I see, or better.
Also, I mentioned this before and Lew reminded me of it.
Learn your camera inside and out.
Learn what each button and function does. At first you will "know" what they do but not understand it. This will come in practice of testing each feature/function one at a time. And over time it will become second nature to change something.
It took me some time for me to know what to change and how to do it on the camera. I read alot about my camera in a "How to d7000" book. Invaluable as they teach you why you change something too.
You are learning at a faster clip than I did (I wasn't on this forum yet either and I did it by myself), and you had previous experience. The jump to digital I've basically ignored what I knew in the past as what I knew in the past wasn't at any level of what I'm learning now .. if that makes any sense.
It's coming together
