Overexposed sky; portrait shot; would ND filter fix this image?

expose for how you want the sky then fill the foreground in with flash.

I forgot about a polarizing filter, that will tame down the sky. It would be worth a try.

I forgot about a polarizing filter, that will tame down the sky. It would be worth a try.

I usually leave a cpl on one of my lenses. Even during inside shots it sometimes helps with bad reflections/glare

Getting ready to pick up a circular polarizer filter in 77mm, any brand you recommend, without breaking the bank?

I buy my filters from ebay and I buy either Hoya or B+W. Most of the time they are used and I've never gotten burned (knock on wood).

I buy my filters from ebay and I buy either Hoya or B+W. Most of the time they are used and I've never gotten burned (knock on wood).

Great go-to brands.

I have Tiffen brand CPLs, they are fine, but when I hold them up against this screen they can change the color hue based on the rotation.

upload_2018-12-8_11-50-46.png

upload_2018-12-8_11-51-0.png

they can have a HUGE affect on skies, so a good rule-of-thumb is to take multi-shots using them with different rotations:

upload_2018-12-8_11-48-8.png

upload_2018-12-8_11-46-20.png

upload_2018-12-8_11-49-17.png

you can see the green hue being cast here too.

problem with these are, look how much is also affects my subject, since they are reflecting white -- CPLs are great for reflection control. So if you're using them for portraits, expect to lose some of the 3Dness of your model as it will reduce the highlights on foreheads/cheeks which give shape to the face.

Looking at my UV filters, I have been purchasing Promaster HGX Prime. I was thinking on going this route with a CPL but not sure if it is over priced ?

Looking at my UV filters, I have been purchasing Promaster HGX Prime. I was thinking on going this route with a CPL but not sure if it is over priced ?

I should have mentioned in a 77mm. Seeing them on Amazon for $130. I have step up rings for my other lenses.

The proper way to get exposure balanced between the subject and the background is fill flash. The alternative is Photoshop.

Jeff

agreed. but i can see the same color cast in my images too... it's correctable, but lame.

Great go-to brands.

I have Tiffen brand CPLs, they are fine, but when I hold them up against this screen they can change the color hue based on the rotation.

View attachment 166717

View attachment 166718

they can have a HUGE affect on skies, so a good rule-of-thumb is to take multi-shots using them with different rotations:

View attachment 166715

View attachment 166714

View attachment 166716

you can see the green hue being cast here too.

problem with these are, look how much is also affects my subject, since they are reflecting white -- CPLs are great for reflection control. So if you're using them for portraits, expect to lose some of the 3Dness of your model as it will reduce the highlights on foreheads/cheeks which give shape to the face.

If this happens it means your filter is backward. A CPL is really a two layer filter. The first layer is actually a linear polarizer. The send layer is a quarter-wave plate. If you hold the filter so that the side that threads to the camera is toward you (and if the vendor didn't install the glass backward) then it will work normally and you should see things get dark/light based on the polarization angle of the light. But if you flip the filter around so the threads are facing away from you... you'll get a blue/gold hue shift as you rotate it.

You should *not* get a blue/gold hue shift if the threads that normally mount to the camera are facing you. If you do, that means the glass was inserted backward (the quarter-wave plate is in front and the linear polarizer is in back instead of the other way around.)

well look at that.... I should have known better since it never went full black.

I still see a slight color shift on camera, you can see on the examples above there's a slight green hue shift. But this makes me feel better about them.

Last edited:
sometimes I buy my filters from ebay

Most reactions

Back