Owl for C&C

JoshC.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello again!
While I was inside the house today, my dad spotted what we thought was a hawk outside. I figured this would be a great chance to try out my 55-200mm lens, as I hadn't used it yet. So i ran upstairs, unwrapped it, and quickly ran outside. After chasing him around the yard a bit, he settled in a tree. Low and behold, it wasn't a hawk, but an owl! Stupidly, I hadn't even checked the settings on my camera and shot a few immediately. When I looked down to actually make some adjustments, he flew away :( Here is the best one I got, with a crop and some minor editing (I am by no means proud of this, I just need advice!). I know its noisy but I'd like to see what I should have taken shot this at (I'm hoping he comes back tomorrow).

Nikon D3100
Manual
200mm ISO 800
1/160 and f/22
Since I hadn't used the lens yet, I didn't even think to switch VR on.

5334065448_641607ca82_b.jpg

What do y'all think? After thinking about it, I thought probably a much bigger aperture and smaller shutter speed?

Thanks for the C&C!

Well... nice try. Taking photos of wildlife is far from easy.

VR on would have been nice. The shutter speed is too low for 200mm focal length without VR (as a rule anyway). f/22 ?? Whyyyyy? No need to stop that far down for most purposes. Most lenses have a sharpness sweet spot a few stops down from their max aperture. For that lens, maybe f/8.

So, you have a somewhat blurry, noisy, dark photo of an awesome bird. Sucks, but I'd learn from it and move on. If it makes you feel any better, I (and mentioned in another thread) took some terrible shots of an eagle last Spring. It hurts me to even look at them..

0oUSr.jpg

ax5mH.jpg

They are blurry crap photos which I tried to sharpen but it didn't help much. First one is a 100% crop..

Gotta learn from our mistakes I suppose.

I actually like it, the added noise makes it look spooky :)

I'm by no mean a pro, but when I shoot birds, I try to consider it as a portrait a narrow the depth of field to my subject. The issue is that not pro lens like the one you are using (and mine;)) needs to be stopped down a bit to achieve a good sharp picture. I would have try to shoot around f8 instead of f22. This way you would have been able to shoot same speed at ISO100 solving the noise problem.

When I'm really short on time, I go aperture priority set the aperture that renders good enough quality and go for it. If time I'll play with ISO. I tend to avoid manual when I'm rushed, there is too much things that varies in manual in too little time. What I often do is set in Aperture priority and then do the exposure correction with exposure compensation. It gives me faster results.

Definitively VR would have help you gain few stops. Handheld at 200mm you should avoid shooting under 1/200s to minimize motion blur.

Other than that, that is an awesome subject you got there! I'm still looking for my first owl!:( I hope for you he'll come back so you can have a second chance. Take this as a lesson. I had mine last fall forgetting my ISO at 2000 screwing up a awesome great heron fishing:grumpy:

Good luck!

Much faster shutter speed, IMO. I agree with MissCream somewhat...the shake and noise kinda gives it a spooky effect. But, eh, stare at it long enough, it gets a bit irritating. Yet, still better than what I can do outdoors! :lol:

Cheers.

Thank you for the encouragement reznap! I truthfully didn't change the settings at all, just popped the lens on and ran out the door. I know, stupid. I'll try f8 for sure. My parents said hes been around the past few days (i just got home) so I'm hoping he'll be back for another round tomorrow.
I don't feel so bad after seeing your shots. I guess we all miss opportunities sometimes :)

And thank you MissCream!

Thank you Marc!! That is all great advice and I'll definitely use it next time. And that shot is really awesome!!

And naaaach, I know what you mean. I will try the fast ss next time. Thank you!

Thank you Marc!! That is all great advice and I'll definitely use it next time. And that shot is really awesome!!

No problem. Thanks for your comment but if you see the picture full size, it's quite noisy. You sometime pay the price to learn;)

Well my bird didn't return today, at least I didn't see him :(
Oh well, maybe tomorrow!

I like the noise in the picture. It compliments the texture in his feathers and the general foggy background. It almost looks like a painting instead of a photo. I know you wish it had been crisp and clear, but this is striking too.

I like the noise in the picture. It compliments the texture in his feathers and the general foggy background. It almost looks like a painting instead of a photo. I know you wish it had been crisp and clear, but this is striking too.

Wow, thank you! I'm thrilled someone likes it!
I definitely see what you mean, if only it was intentional!! :lol:

Most reactions

Back