No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We'll start off with a sleepy Barn Owl:
Barnowl_zps8ee5868b.jpg

I finally found some burrowing owls! I've been looking for some over the past couple months and was able to capture some shots today. I definitely need to go back with my TC and in a vehicle with higher ground clearance, these guys are small (about the size of a large robin) but fairly skittish, so many of them are pretty heavily cropped, I also had to focus through a lot of weeds that were standing taller than the owls were and I couldn't get high enough to see over the weeds, lots of missed focus shots from today, but at least I know a location for them...here's a few quick edits, if I find more, or have a little more time to play with these I'll probably refine them a bit.

Balancing Act:
burrowing_owl_1_zps0078c744.jpg

How YOU doin'?
burrowing_owl_2_zps9a88ca11.jpg

Smile! (actually this is part of a yawn, it just doesn't look like it)
burrowing_owl_3_zps57f5ad65.jpg

You put your right foot in....
burrowing_owl_4_zpsbbbb6bab.jpg

Friggin' awesome captures and commentary. Thanks for sharing.

Great shots! Love the wink and the leg shake. :)

#1 looks like how I feel today, we did Canada Day weekend up good this year, today is a day of recovery lol

The Burrowing Owls are fantastic, great set.

Great set! #3#4and #5 kind of looks like me on the way home from a night out with the boys

Fantastic set! I absolutely love #2 and #5. Great shots!

Kevin

Awesome shots! What is on the owls leg? It looks like a ID band like On parakeets or domestic birds.On photo #2 it looks like a ID band on his right leg and on #3 and 5 looks like its on the left.A rescue injured - tagged and release maybe.

Last edited:
#1 looks like how I feel today, we did Canada Day weekend up good this year, today is a day of recovery lol

You owls can eat a bunny, right Pixel? Oo

Very nice set, thanks for sharing.

Awesome shots! What is on the owls leg? It looks like a ID band like On parakeets or domestic birds.On photo #2 it looks like a ID band on his right leg and on #3 and 5 looks like its on the left.A rescue injured - tagged and release maybe.

ID Tracking band, yes.

Where were these pics taken? Wildlife Refuge?

hah...thanks! I feel that way after getting home from a night shift on my other job :D

Great set! #3#4and #5 kind of looks like me on the way home from a night out with the boys

hah, he kinda does look like he could use a designated driver...

Fantastic set! I absolutely love #2 and #5. Great shots!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!

Thanks, its a tracking band, they use it to help research and track migration and such, especially on these burrowing owls, the males tend to migrate much further than the females, so they even use a little radio tracking 'backpack' on some of the males. I was talking with a wildlife service biologist that was explaining how they caught and tagged the birds, he even had a few eagle bands with him that he let me look at. interesting note, most birds just get a non-latched aluminum tag like these guys because the birds aren't able to bend the aluminum sufficiently to remove it, larger raptors like hawks and falcons get a crimped band since they are strong enough to bend a non-crimped band off, and Eagles specifically get a thicker, riveted band. It was fun to talk to the guy and hear stories about climbing the cliff faces to get to some eaglet nests to band them, etc...

here's an old pic of an Eagle I took last winter, you can see he has 2 separate bands:
eagle10_zps48f3c16d.jpg

Ha great set! Shots #3 and #5 made me laugh!

heh :D thanks

You owls can eat a bunny, right Pixel? Oo

Very nice set, thanks for sharing.

hah I don't know if the burrowing owls could eat a bunny, but that bar owl probably could heh, Thanks!

ID Tracking band, yes.

Where were these pics taken? Wildlife Refuge?

kindof, its a State Park called 'Antelope Island' in the great salt lake, but they work a lot with the wildlife service and pretty much function like a wildlife refuge and migratory bird refuge. I call it 'Little Yellowstone' since there are such a variety of wild animals and birds on the small island.

Wow thats pretty cool thanks for taking the time to explain the band Aloicious & Propilot.Very interesting.

Last edited:
Wow thats pretty cool thanks for taking the time to explain the band Aloicious & Propilot.Very interesting.

no prob...my wife bought me a toy stuffed burrowing owl that sits on my editing desk, and it even came with a leg band on it haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back