own a camera AND a camcorder

anon125

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
what is the advantage - if any - of owning both today.
even cheaper cameras record HD movies and HD camcorders can take high res pics?
thanks all

Sorry but it is obvious you aim never to come back here therefore I will not contribute to you.

However FOR the others who may wish for this information,

DSLR are made for Still frame photography, that is what it is good at, Sure it takes a good video however it is better to buy a £4000 video recorded (The ones with removable lenses) for video as it is made for video and will out perform any still camera in todays age.

Its like saying, Why use a camera to take pictures when a phone can take pictures.

Sorry but it is obvious you aim never to come back here therefore I will not contribute to you.

However FOR the others who may wish for this information,

DSLR are made for Still frame photography, that is what it is good at, Sure it takes a good video however it is better to buy a £4000 video recorded (The ones with removable lenses) for video as it is made for video and will out perform any still camera in todays age.

Its like saying, Why use a camera to take pictures when a phone can take pictures.

thanks - but you totally fail at mind reading!
you have no idea whether i will come back or not.
This is a hobby - not professional so i don't have the budget for your prices - continue the snobbery - very british!
BTW i note that although i set ti to email twhen a reply came in -it did not do so - any ideas - HELPFUL ones?

Unless you are a pro who gets paid for your video productions, there is really no need for a camcorder. Most amateur content needs for video include a child's first steps, the main part of a wedding ceremony, blowing out the candles on a cake, and other short length video segments. These kinds of video can easily be handled by a still camera with video capability.

Longer videos require planning, scripting, direction and most often more than one person: a production crew. Most amateurs and some professionals do not have the training or the skills necessary to produce a high quality longer video that would require a camcorder.

As a result, for a lot of buyers, a camcorder is a waste of money and spends a lot of time in a drawer.

skieur

I shoot photos with pro photo gear and video with a pro video gear. If you want something for light amatuer use, i would say get a slr that shoots vid not the other way round.

What I find interesting is the gizmos he uses as accessories, which add up to a hefty piece of change. He has a cool device to go on his LCD screen ( Z-Finder - Zacuto )to act as a better focusing device and he has a great support device ( DSLR Tactical Shooter-Zacuto ). Those supports look like lots of fun, but you could buy several carbon fiber tripods for the price of one of them.

This is a hobby - not professional so i don't have the budget for your prices - continue the snobbery - very british!
BTW i note that although i set ti to email twhen a reply came in -it did not do so - any ideas - HELPFUL ones?

1. I didn't say you HAVE TO buy the profesional SLR Video cameras
2. Snobbish? I am far from being a snob... Everything I have has been bought with my own money from a job that pays me £4.50 an hour.
3. dont bring America vs Britain into these threads keep that for ou anonymous trolling image boards...
4. sorry you never found my post helpful, MY point was, if you want to do something, Buy a tool dedicated to doing that.
you wouldn't buy a camera for the clock, you would buy a watch.

1. I didn't say you HAVE TO buy the profesional SLR Video cameras
2. Snobbish? I am far from being a snob... Everything I have has been bought with my own money from a job that pays me £4.50 an hour.
3. dont bring America vs Britain into these threads keep that for ou anonymous trolling image boards...
4. sorry you never found my post helpful, MY point was, if you want to do something, Buy a tool dedicated to doing that.
I am British - not a yank.
in the 21st century many products can do several jobs well enough.

Thanks for all your help
Much appreciated.

I have a D90 and do have a camcorder... however it sits in the closet with dead batteries collecting dust.

No need! :)

Funny thing is, sitting outside with the wife and kids not long ago, Wifey asks me if I know what time it was. Nope, I don't have a watch. But wait a minute.... I turn the camera on, go through the menu, get to the Date/Time section, and bingo, it's 4:38 pm. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back