Painter looking for best avenue to quality photo references

semper_aug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I apologize if this is a subject that has been discussed here before. Searching for information has been a little difficult due to words with multiple meanings (ex. models could mean person or toy/car/figure or concept).
I am an artist looking for the best way to get a photo reference for my paintings. I have a few questions that maybe someone can help me out with.
I am a very very amateur photographer. I understand just the basic concepts. Portraits are my specialty so I have thought about hiring a model and attempting to make my own (hopefully quality looking) photos. I am nervous to do this however, having no experience. Has anyone worked with other artists before? Should I take this route? Should I find someone to assist me? Do photographers offer photographs to use as photo references that I wouldn't be stealing by painting and eventually selling my work? I want to be respectful to other's work and find a way to obtain quality photo references for my work. Thoughts?
Photography is such a beautiful art form, but I prefer to further my experience with sketching/painting etc. Art is my passion, but I have a very low income and I can't really afford to hire a lot of expensive people, if it matters, I have a decent camera. how can I make this a win-win for a photographer/model and me?

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure what you mean by 'photo reference'. Are you wanting to use a photo as a basis for creating a painting?

OP
S

semper_aug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by 'photo reference'. Are you wanting to use a photo as a basis for creating a painting?

Yes. A reference for proper spacing/lighting/colors ect. It is very common for an artist to use a photo as a reference. I would love to get some feedback, but perhaps there is a better place to be looking for this information...

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you want to use photos as a basis, I see no reason to hire models. Just ask friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc if they're willing to sit for a while in front of a camera.

dennybeall

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.citrusphotorestore.com
Photos OK to edit
Photos to be used for the stated purpose could be taken by pretty much any camera, even a phone would do it.
Before digital most of that was done with just a basic polaroid camera.
You can't legally copy someone's photo but you can look at pictures for ideas to create your own art.

snowbear

Fuzzy, wuzzy Nanuq
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Royalty-free images are available for download here, thought there may not be very many portraits. Reference usage is perfectly fine,

Most reactions