Pan head vs. ball head

ziggy84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So which tripod head in your opinion is better? For ball head users out there, how is the quality and durability of the ball head?

We love our manfrotto pan tilt head, but we use a manfrotto ball head on a monopod. I like being able to adjust one spot at a time with the pan tilt.

If you look at the last few product photos on that amazon page you'll see shots of the tripod with the head removed. Good quality tripods nearly always have removable heads and all use the same standard screw thread size to mount tripod heads (at least in the photographic world, tripods from other interest areas might have some differences). This allows you to change the head to best suit the need since different areas of photography will have different requirements and the ideal head for one kind of situation can be utterly wrong for another.

If you look at the last few product photos on that amazon page you'll see shots of the tripod with the head removed. Good quality tripods nearly always have removable heads and all use the same standard screw thread size to mount tripod heads (at least in the photographic world, tripods from other interest areas might have some differences). This allows you to change the head to best suit the need since different areas of photography will have different requirements and the ideal head for one kind of situation can be utterly wrong for another.

Thanks for the info, Overread.

Is Vanguard a good quality pod? I was actually looking to buy a Manfrotto and came across the Alta Pro.

Is Vanguard a good quality pod? I was actually looking to buy a Manfrotto and came across the Alta Pro.

I recently got a carbon fiber Vanguard (this one) and have been very happy. Very stable and very well built as far as I've been able to tell so far in limited use. I also started out looking at Manfrotto (specifically, the 190CXPRO4 because I wanted a fairly light one that wasn't too big when folded) but the Vanguard was a better fit for my needs. No regrets so far.

As to the question of ball head vs. pan heads -- depends on what you want. Do you want the ease of movement in all axes with a single lever release (ball) or the stability of being able to move in one dimension while keeping the others fixed (pan)?

Last edited:
Good quality tripods nearly always have removable heads and all use the same standard screw thread size to mount tripod heads (at least in the photographic world, tripods from other interest areas might have some differences).

Two thread sizes that are commonly used in photographic applications on this continent are 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch. Adapters between them are easily available at reputable photo places.

To the OP, on tripods I prefer a decent quality pan/tilt head with a portrait/landscape flip or a quality fluid pan/tilt. I use a ball head on monopods sometimes, but even there I often prefer a simple tilt head. I find it harder to maintain a level horizon when using ball heads. (I'm not a big fan of tilted images.) Except for a really heavy mount on a big tripod for critical landscapes and/or heavy gear in a studio, my tripods, monopods and heads are all Manfrotto.

Regarding the OPs title question...pan or ball head?

I am satisfied with having both. I have a 40 year old 'cheap' tripod then (all aluminum, well made by todays' standards) with a pan head on it. For the occassional use it gets (5-10 times per year, mostly for occassional ebay sales), it suits me fine. In years past, I did a bit of panning with it, and it was stable enough to support two 35mm SLRs with longer lenses mounted on it with a T bar.

For my monopod, I use a ball head. Quick flexibility and single knob adjusting to any orientation. After first getting a cheapo ball head for it (about $50, as I recall) I soon discovered it couldn't support my 60D with 24-105 mounted, and a 580 EX II on a bracket as well. So I went for 'overkill' and bought a Kirk ballhead. It'll support a tank! Good thing I did. I recently upgraded to a full frame, magnesium body camera and grip and it is noticably heavier!

I'm not telling you to go out and get a $500 tripod and $500 ballhead. But be sure that what you do buy will support your camera, heavy lens, flash, and a bit more...or you'll end up replacing it with something that will.

I recently got a carbon fiber Vanguard (this one) and have been very happy. Very stable and very well built as far as I've been able to tell so far in limited use. I also started out looking at Manfrotto (specifically, the 190CXPRO4 because I wanted a fairly light one that wasn't too big when folded) but the Vanguard was a better fit for my needs. No regrets so far.

As to the question of ball head vs. pan heads -- depends on what you want. Do you want the ease of movement in all axes with a single lever release (ball) or the stability of being able to move in one dimension while keeping the others fixed (pan)?

Thanks for the info. I'm not ready to buy yet. I def wanted to get some of your guys POV on what you own, used. I probably won't be buying for @ least a few months down the road, I want to research a bit more, and also have to buy other needs first - Flash unit among one.

Well IMO I need to get my hands on a pod with a ball head and then make my decision. I mean, the ball head sounds, sound, but then again it has it's negatives as well. Same with the Pan/tilt; however, I do have a pan/tilt head on an old heavy pod, but I don't really like it much...but again, the thing feels like it weights 25 lbs and I could use it to do some curls while I'm out shooting. That could possibly be the contributing factor to why I dislike the pod.

Good quality tripods nearly always have removable heads and all use the same standard screw thread size to mount tripod heads (at least in the photographic world, tripods from other interest areas might have some differences).

Two thread sizes that are commonly used in photographic applications on this continent are 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch. Adapters between them are easily available at reputable photo places.

To the OP, on tripods I prefer a decent quality pan/tilt head with a portrait/landscape flip or a quality fluid pan/tilt. I use a ball head on monopods sometimes, but even there I often prefer a simple tilt head. I find it harder to maintain a level horizon when using ball heads. (I'm not a big fan of tilted images.) Except for a really heavy mount on a big tripod for critical landscapes and/or heavy gear in a studio, my tripods, monopods and heads are all Manfrotto.

Thanks Patrice.

Yeah, so far I've looked @ some Manfrotto's, and the Vanguard Pro. Still gonna do more research and gotta get my hands on a ball head, and possibly a good quality pan/tilt before I make a final decision. If you don't mind me asking, which Manfrotto pods do you own?

Regarding the OPs title question...pan or ball head?

I am satisfied with having both. I have a 40 year old 'cheap' tripod then (all aluminum, well made by todays' standards) with a pan head on it. For the occassional use it gets (5-10 times per year, mostly for occassional ebay sales), it suits me fine. In years past, I did a bit of panning with it, and it was stable enough to support two 35mm SLRs with longer lenses mounted on it with a T bar.

For my monopod, I use a ball head. Quick flexibility and single knob adjusting to any orientation. After first getting a cheapo ball head for it (about $50, as I recall) I soon discovered it couldn't support my 60D with 24-105 mounted, and a 580 EX II on a bracket as well. So I went for 'overkill' and bought a Kirk ballhead. It'll support a tank! Good thing I did. I recently upgraded to a full frame, magnesium body camera and grip and it is noticably heavier!

I'm not telling you to go out and get a $500 tripod and $500 ballhead. But be sure that what you do buy will support your camera, heavy lens, flash, and a bit more...or you'll end up replacing it with something that will.

Thanks bratkinson.

I didn't really think about the weight limitations, and regards to the future when I upgrade to a better camera. Good point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back