Panasonic's DC-S5 Balanced Full-Frame Hybrid Camera

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Panasonic's latest S5 full-frame camera has a substantial number of S1H features in a smaller, lighter and less expensive body. The 24MP sensor and Dual IBIS 2 comes from the S1, though the flip out screen is new though not as advanced as the S1H. Body will be available around mid-September for $1,999 US, and with a 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 zoom for $2,299 US.

"Panasonic S5 initial review"
Posted Sep 2, 2020 by DPreview.com, by Dale Baskin
"Panasonic S5 initial review"

On the one hand, I'm not in the market for a camera in that price range, but I took a bit closer look at it later. It is actually a puzzle. It is a lot closer to the S1 in every way than I would have expected. The price range starts at where the Nikon Z6 and Sony a7iii started, and those have been discounted now, putting both the S1 and the S5 above their ranges -- for now. I would have expected Panasonic to aim at a bit lower price point.

Panasonic do seem to have a bit of a cult following. Never used one myself but they are held in high regard.

Currently, I think the S1 might be looked at as the more Pro - stills oriented camera and the S5 is, maybe a more video oriented camera. It all depends on what firmware upgrades that Panasonic brings out -- and yes, the reviews confirm that new firmware is coming out for the S1 and S5, so there is a lot of "maybe this" and "maybe that" to add to the confusion.

The big "focus" lately though is on "auto-focus". Panasonic feels they now have a contrast-detect auto-focus system that rivals the phase-detect, hybrid and "dual-pixel" systems. As I write this, all my autofocus is "contrast-detect", and for about a year now, I have been planning on getting a new Sony body just for their hybrid auto-focus. To be specific, I had planned on getting an a6400. So I have been looking this stuff carefully, and I am surprised by the new system, but I have not changed my mind about it yet. Here are a couple of specific tests:

"Panasonic S5: Do updated subject recognition and DFD improve autofocus?"
Posted Sep 2, 2020 by "DPReview", [length 3:04]
""

"NEW Panasonic S5 vs Sony A73 - FULL Autofocus Comparison"
Posted Sep 2, 2020 by "Max Yuryev", [length 16:36]
""

Looks very nice. I used a G2 Lumix for many years, and really liked the handling and the images, but in the ended wanted the greater control of dof from a larger sensor. But if this had been out at the time I changed systems, it would have kept me faithful. Proper handgrip, projecting viewfinder for people who have a nose, just like my trusty G2.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back