What's new

Panning a skateboarder

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
10,347
Reaction score
2,174
Location
Denver, CO
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
p322633867-4.jpg


The whole set: http://usagani.com/p781234857
 
Last edited:
A little tilted to the right, too busy background, and that watermark is completely ruining whole image. I'm sorry, but I don't like it at all.
 
Yes, watermark ruining whole image. That is the point. But thanks. I took this on a car event. I doubt the person will see this photo and buy it but I watermark everything because I sell prints.
 
I thought the watermark was the subject...

A little tilted to the right, too busy background, and that watermark is completely ruining whole image. I'm sorry, but I don't like it at all.

Sums it up well. The tilt I believe to be him going downhill though...? Still, its about perception.
 
I like it, but I keep getting drawn to the dark branches. I actually spent more time looking at the dark branch in the top right than I did on the skater because I kept thinking it looked like a bug or crack on the lens.
 
Yes, watermark ruining whole image. That is the point. But thanks. I took this on a car event. I doubt the person will see this photo and buy it but I watermark everything because I sell prints.
I understand that.. The problem is, that the watermark is also part of the picture you are trying to present us. For me, it is ruining the image, because it is drawing my attention away from the subject.
If you sell prints and have an internet gallery, you must also be aware of the fact, that watermarking won't stop anybody from stealing those images from you... There are tons of tuts on "how to remove watermark" on the internet. The moment you put ANYTHING on the internet you can just hope that nobody will violate your author rights.
 
I know some people hate watermarks, and I agree sometimes they are distracting... but why is it so hard for some people to look past them? Don't you realise he has another copy of the image without it. Can you not "see" what it would look like without it?
 
willis_927, maybe because they are rather useless and serve indirectly only one purpose - to ruin the presentation for regular viewers. If someone wants to steal your photos, he WILL do it. Watermarked or not...
Sure, I can see the image behind, that's why the watermark wasn't the only thing in my 1st post in this thread. For instance the background... (actually I am not the only one to mention that)
 
I understand the background issue you mentioned. Perhaps the purpose of the watermark is partially for advertisement?
 
Tomasko said:
If someone wants to steal your photos, he WILL do it. Watermarked or not...

Why would anyone steal a watermarked photo?
 
willis_927, I'm not putting in trash all watermarks. I understand their role in authoring the photo. However, it can be achieved by far less intrusive way without ruining the content of the image :)

Tomasko said:
If someone wants to steal your photos, he WILL do it. Watermarked or not...

Why would anyone steal a watermarked photo?
Why? Is that really a serious question? As I mentioned earlier, it is a matter of few seconds/minutes to fully remove a watermark. After that, the thief can do with the photo whatever he wants to.
I do business in creating websites and I have discussed this matter with my clients over and over. There is NO real defense against people who want to steal your image.
 
Still seems like a reasonable deterrent to me.
 
Not really... It deters only not experienced people and only to the moment they visit any IT forum and find out, that it is really easy to get rid of it. Or they just pay someone to do it...
 
willis_927, I'm not putting in trash all watermarks. I understand their role in authoring the photo. However, it can be achieved by far less intrusive way without ruining the content of the image :)

-Understandable.

Schwetty, sorry I kinda started the thread jack here. I checked out the link you provided, some great panning shots there.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom