Panoramic Picture taken in Lowell

donny1963

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was driving though lowell, on Christmas day, the temp was 65F
I had my Cannon 50D in the car (Cropped sensor camera) and had a 18-200 lens on the camera.
So, I notice the waterfall, and decided to take a panoramic picture of it, i had my tri-pod in the car as well, so this is what i got out of a cropped sensor camera, with an 18-200 lens.
Don-Christian-Panorama-Picture-Of-Lowell-Waterfall.jpg
Don-Christian-Picture-Of-Lowell-Waterfall.jpg

You posted this before. Why post it again? See your previous post for feedback.

i felt like, it, your last comment from before about how i'm no expert with the topic about photoshop, i believe your not qualified to judge weather i'm an expert with Photoshop. turst me on this, resorting to use the clone tool to remove that object would be newbie's way..
In fact i am an expert with adobe photoshop and other photography tools, that is what i do for a living..
maybe you should get to know one, before you make arrogant comments about something you clearly know nothing about.

i felt like, it, your last comment from before about how i'm no expert with the topic about photoshop, i believe your not qualified to judge weather i'm an expert with Photoshop. turst me on this, resorting to use the clone tool to remove that object would be newbie's way..
In fact i am an expert with adobe photoshop and other photography tools, that is what i do for a living..
maybe you should get to know one, before you make arrogant comments about something you clearly know nothing about.

Do keep taking the tablets.

What ARE you talking about?

This is the thread I am talking about. It's a few below this one.

Here is a Panoramic picture i done on Christmas Day 2015!!

Try to lose the attitude.

I didn't give any critique on this the first time around, but you seem quite eager so I'll give my opinion for what it's worth.

Here's your edit with my edit of your edit side by side. Obviously, as you know, it's difficult to edit an edit as the edit is edited. So editing the edit is un-editing the edit and not editing the un-edited which is simpler and would allow me to say simply; I've edited your shot. ;);) Excuse me for doing this but it's difficult to discuss the finer points of editing with someone who refuses to see things that are obvious to the rest of us. I have therefore broken your 'no edit' rule so you can see the difference between what you do and what the rest of us can do.

edit-1.jpg

Because of your experience you'll be familiar with what I did, so I shan't repeat it. But essentially you've done what a lot of digital photographers do, which is point your camera into the light. This creates a number of problems, mainly that not only do you include the very bright source of illumination, but also the objects that are lit by this illumination are also all facing away from the camera. You are left with a shot that comprises predominantly of overblown highlights and deep shadow values. Which surprises me for someone with your experience of reversal film. You must be aware that essentially you are pushing the subject outside the camera's ability to record it.
You are then forced to apply extensive editing which appears to be tone-mapping together with the inevitable increases in contrast, clarity and the boosted saturation that goes with them. What you end up with is a lot of black interspersed with a lot of thin and un-realistic colour. What I've done is in essence is to bring the colour and balance back through a process that really just adds grey. This is something I was trying to explain on another thread, that it's the contrast between colour in context that gives you the variety and impression of colour. And though it seems odd to beginners it's actually the subtraction of this grey by contrast, clarity and saturation that removes colour rather than adds it, and what I keep referring to as subtractive processing.

I hope this helps and demonstrates that there are members on this site who's extensive experience you may benefit from. :):):):)

EDIT: Because the exact details can be vague, I've included a screenshot of the essential panels for my edit that should explain in more detail what I did.

edit-detail.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back