Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
p1611102392-5.jpg

I really like it. Its like this kid is too cool to be actually watching the parade. He reminds me of that fish that swims the opposite way of the rest of the school.

thanks.
I guess you saw that there are ~30 people in the shot, not counting the parade, and only one face.

Gives a sense of isolation almost, with all the people there he stands out and seems separated from what's happening behind him. Interesting contrast in the serious expression on his face and the whimsical T shirt - makes me wonder what he's looking at or thinking about.

I think this image is great. Like you said, all of those people in the crowd as well as the parade and the childs face is all you see. I have to ask...Is this set up or did you just happen to catch a kid who was having a terrible time? Regardless I think its a great picture. I also like the fact that its black and white. I know a lot of people arent a fan of selective color but I think it could have worked in this case. If the child was the only thing in color or vice-versa I think it could look very cool.

Good shot with the kid facing away from everybody. The wondering, the ambiguity, the option to "make up a narrative" makes this one a winner. The boy's sideways glance and odd expression really make this one stand out. Pretty timeless too...ought to be good 10,15,20 years in the future.

Well Lew. Let me give this a shot. Have 6 grown sons, so here's my take. Judging by the empty space on the bench inside. Also the half turned face of a child his size.
I think he either got, a time out. Or just an aggravation break.
Aside from that, I think the vivid B&W is perfect for this shot. nice job. Ed

40 minutes and no one has even looked at this picture.

Was it something I said?

I looked but wasnt sure what to say (new here and written words have to be crafted) also in general I am not into b/w
But I cant see how this could be anything other than b/w
It breaks most of the "rules" of composition and works because it does
Had the lad seen you and was looking down your lens it would have ruined it
Being a fan of tight cropping I would have lost a biit at the bottom and from the left (even if it meant loosing a bit of the band) but thats me and I am sure it is exactly as you want it

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Gives a sense of isolation almost, with all the people there he stands out and seems separated from what's happening behind him. Interesting contrast in the serious expression on his face and the whimsical T shirt - makes me wonder what he's looking at or thinking about.

I think that ambiguity about what and why is an important element here.

I think this image is great. Like you said, all of those people in the crowd as well as the parade and the childs face is all you see. I have to ask...Is this set up or did you just happen to catch a kid who was having a terrible time? Regardless I think its a great picture. I also like the fact that its black and white. I know a lot of people arent a fan of selective color but I think it could have worked in this case. If the child was the only thing in color or vice-versa I think it could look very cool.

Thanks, not not set up at all.
What would selective color have added to this shot? Looking cool isn't a lasting part of a picture, IMO.

Well Lew. Let me give this a shot. Have 6 grown sons, so here's my take. Judging by the empty space on the bench inside. Also the half turned face of a child his size.
I think he either got, a time out. Or just an aggravation break.
Aside from that, I think the vivid B&W is perfect for this shot. nice job. Ed

Perhaps.
In the color version, he gets lost in all the rest.

40 minutes and no one has even looked at this picture.

Was it something I said?

I looked but wasnt sure what to say (new here and written words have to be crafted) also in general I am not into b/w
But I cant see how this could be anything other than b/w
It breaks most of the "rules" of composition and works because it does
Had the lad seen you and was looking down your lens it would have ruined it
Being a fan of tight cropping I would have lost a biit at the bottom and from the left (even if it meant loosing a bit of the band) but thats me and I am sure it is exactly as you want it

I am also a fan of tight cropping but, in this case, I think the empty space emphasizes that he is by himself and alone back there. The fact that you can see an actual parade with noise and bands, etc. in the background makes his isolation seem more important, I think. It's almost as if he is in his own cone of silence.

Thanks, Tex

I think there are enough clues in this picture to tell a viewer where and when it was taken, almost to the minute. (or at least the hour).

I like this,nice shooting.The only face of a boy with attitude.My guess is that this is last place he wants to be is at this parade and who could blame him-Boring.He rather be with his home boys.

didn't read any of the previous comments but if it has been said forgive me.

Power shot! Looks to good a scene to not be staged! Caught my eye and held it. Love it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back