Went to the park today and tooled around in CS3 and LR with these:

1)
3654897329_e0dd5fd978.jpg

2)
3655692714_b862f63884.jpg

3)
3655690804_0c4dea880a.jpg

Hopefully i got the lighting right b/c my monitor isnt calibrated yet:grumpy:

Really like #3, #1 not so much as it is too bright.

Were you trying to blow the highlights and lose all detail in the shadows on purpose?

no, i didnt think my monitor was that bad. To me they look like an equal exposure.

Any one know a good monitor calibration program?

#1 Really bright, too much foreground, and frozen water isn't very appealing.

#2 Don't really get anything from it, and the blurry branch in the viewers face is distracting.

#3 looks like you attempted to allow the water to blur, but in the process you overexposed it severely. The shutter speed needs to be slower than you had it for that "cotton candy" blurred water look, which means you need to be there at one of three times:
Dawn
Dusk
Very overcast or stormy day. Even then you will probably need help; a polarizer at the very least will help, as well as the stop-down filter mentioned below. (I added this sentence after the initial post)

The only other way to get the blurred water effect is with a stop-down filter. Otherwise it's just too bright to allow the shutter to stay open long enough.

Or use an ND filter. ND it and you can get the shutter speed much lower in bright daylight...just...use a tripod. *chuckle*

redtipp: Mac or PC?

Or use an ND filter. ND it and you can get the shutter speed much lower in bright daylight...just...use a tripod. *chuckle*

redtipp: Mac or PC?

D'OH, forgot about the ND. You would need a full .9 (3 stops) ND for that though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back