Paterson b&w film exp 1999

a_spaceman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ive been given for free 2 paterson b&w films. the exipry date is 1999 tho.
i know that expired film can be good but im not sure if 10 years may be a little too long?
i'll give them a go anyway but should i expect something out of them?
the films were taken out from a not too cold fridge where they have been lately apparently, but of course i cant be sure of where they've been for 10 or more years.
just wanted to know if i should try to use them pretty much normally or if i should keep in mind, while using them, that the results won't be any good.
thanks!

edit: for the record one is a 200 and the other an 800

Just don't use them for any 'once-in-a-lifetime' shots.

As film ages, it 'fogs'. This in turn compresses the zonal [dynamic] range which the film can record. Slightly fogged film will have but little effect on the final print as the range of paper is generally less than that of film. Heavily fogged film will be problematic, though.

EXPIRATION DATES

Don't worry about them.

If you keep it in the freezer it keeps forever. I have shot Velvia with expiration dates more then ten years out of date, and it was fine. This film therefore was probably made over twelve years ago. Sorry, I have not tried Velvia left at room temperature for a decade.

If you are a cheapskate and know film was refrigerated by all means pick up the give-aways from less courageous photographers cleaning out their fridges. Test a roll first if you have to shoot something important, of course.

Personally I don't worry about film I bought new and goes out of date a year or two. I save the ten-year old rolls friends give me for testing broken cameras.

Film and Printing

So, you may be OK you may not be OK. If they were in some kind of a fridge they should be alright - I still wouldn't shoot anything important on it though.

thanks all!
just one more question - what does fogged exactly mean? how does a fogged exposure look like?
thanks again

thanks all!
just one more question - what does fogged exactly mean? how does a fogged exposure look like?
thanks again

Google Images is a wonderful tool.

00Q3tp-54289684.jpg

Top is normal, bottom is fogged.

Most reactions

Back