Peace, love...and that thing

OMG, i want one sooooo bad! i can see me now driving to work in that! :shock: :lmao: cool shot!

What is the actual name of that type of van? I've been trying to find one to check the prices because I want one. Not knowing the proper name makes that kinda hard.

I wouldn't paint it like that though. :lol:

I THINK it's a Vanagon (as in van wagon w/o the w). It's either that or a VW bus. Either way, it does look like a great vehicle to fix up and personalize. :D

weeeeeeeeeeeell.... the technical name is a Type 2 VW, aka Camper or Bus (in america, NZ and Australia etc known as a Kombi)

The ones that were made first (in the 50s and 60s) have a split screen at the front and are known as Splitties (surprisingly enough)
the next lot (made in the 70s) had a single bay window across the front and are Bays (d'oh!)
and the next lot (made in the 80s and early 90s) were more square and are known as wedgies, vanagons, bricks etc.
The newest models are Caravelles and are uninteresting to me :p

Splitties cost LOADS at the moment (£2000 - £20,000) They say for a decent 'Samba' (one with windows in the corners and roof) you're looking at about £1k a window (ie. £21-23k)
Bays are rising in price (bought mine for £1500 - worth aboot £3000 now?)
and Wedgies are quite reasonable.
Caravelles are scandalously priced as they're still quite new.

Ferny, If you're serious about wanting one, i know LOTS of people with them (most of my mates) and know a fair few places to find them for sale.... just let me know dooooooooooooooooode :)

We had a few of these when I was just a young child. Drove from Edmonton to Key West, Florida in a camperized one. 3220 miles

I thought they'd be expensive. :lol:

Can't afford one right now and I don't have anywhere to put it. We've got four cars here and room for three.

that's so awesome... i love when you get really good random picture opportunities. it's the best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back