Peak to Peak...C&C

...................I don't know about the right ascension, but the Moon would definitely have travelled a little over a degree, because the Moon (and Sun) apparently "move" across the sky 1 degree of arc in just under 4 minutes............

Just to muddy the water further, the sun moves across the sky 'faster' than the moon does. Yes, both appear to travel east to west due to the rotation of the Earth on it's axis, but the moon also appears to move slower because of it's west-to-east movement along it's orbit. Plus, although the apparent movement of the sun across the sky is affected by the earth's rotation around it, for the purposes of the OPs image, it's mathematically insignificant.

I stand corrected, thank-you, didn't know that kind of detail. Also, I meant to type that the Moon would have travelled a bit more than 10 degrees, sorry. DOH !

Have you got a degree in astronomy ? Your knowledge is extremely detailed (and very impressive).

Last edited:
.......Have you got a degree in astronomy ? Your knowledge is extremely detailed (and very impressive).

Hardly. It's just a hobby.

.......Have you got a degree in astronomy ? Your knowledge is extremely detailed (and very impressive).

Hardly. It's just a hobby.

Well, you seem to know more than my old astronomy tutor :) I'm seriously impressed.

Anyway, I now know the picture is actually OCC, and as such, is a most excellent exposure. In future, I shall observe LittleMike's posts somewhat more respectfully.

I pm'd him an apology, which he most graciously accepted. He is a proper gent.

Well, it's one of the strangest pix I've ever seen. One would expect reciprocity failure, resulting in strange colours. However, the colours of the rock and vegetation appear to be daylight balanced.

Also, if the shadowing is caused by moonlight, then where is the Moon ? Above the top of the picture ?

The shadowing does not appear to be consistent with a 40 min exposure of moonlight.

I can't see how that picture could possibly be the result of one exposure at night, ie, after dark.

But I would be happy to be corrected :)

If you think about it, the light coming from the moon is nothing but bounced light from the sun. The colors will generally come out a little cold, but is easy to correct for. The moon was almost directly behind and left to my location (south-southest). The shadow on the left peak grew as the shot was being taken. I have several other shots that have confused members into thinking it was taken around sunrise/sunset because of shadows, but the moon WILL throw shadows, which the camera will easily pick up when left open for lengthy periods of time. This was just a half-moon, and we had enough light we rarely needed to use flashlights when walking to and from the location. For more examples, check here:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum/232646-week-3-long-exposure.html
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum/244329-star-trails-zion-n-p-c-c.html
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum/235154-celestial-angels-landing.html

Awesome shot. How were you able to predict the path of the stars before taking the shot?

<--- astronomy noob

Mainly by going off the North Star. Everything will rotate around it, so you can guess pretty closely as to how sharp the curvature will be by how close other stars are to it. And if all else fails, you can always do a 5-minute exposure to check the streaks.

I somehow missed this post, LittleMike, which is why I didn't respond to it, sorry. I really must get some more sleep, lol !

Most reactions

Back