Peeking out

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
Per the suggestions of Alison (in the critique forum), I headed outside again today to shoot using my flash as a fill.. I shot about 100 pictures and ended up with 2 that I love..

The model is my 22 month old daughter, Lilly. She's hard to work with because she refuses to look at the camera. Most of my shots were good exposure-wise, but just profile or shots of the top of her head because every time she sees me coming with the camera, she runs away or says "NO!" and turns her head. :lol: Poor thing is probably sick of being photographed.

I got these 2 by playing peekaboo with her around the shed in the backyard.

peeking2.jpg

peeking.jpg

I wish I hadn't accidentally cropped her hand off in the first one. Any suggestions on cropping are appreciated. I think I tend to crop too close sometimes.

I also used the "paradise effect" that I saw in the how to forum here. I like the smoothness and bright colors it makes in photoshop.

Thanks! :)

Ooohhh!! We were both looking at these and the ones on your site and really like them. The lighting on these two are fantastic! The fill flash here really brings out the details that were lost in your critique post. We also gawked over your series of "shadow" shots on your site for a good half an hour. You've got some really good work! Keep it up.

Both portraits are VERY nice. I don't miss seeing the entire hand in the first. Nor do I find your cropping too tight. It seems you have a good sense for it. I might have cropped in a bit from the right in the second view, taking about half of the visable siding.

You peek-a-boo worked great! I have a grandson the same age. My fail-safe tactic for working with him (or any child up to age 5 or so) is to let him see me goof up somehow. I'll pretend to place a prop of any kind just outside of the view, making certain it falls as I turn back to the tripod. Then I put on a bit of show acting surprised that it has fallen. Kids LOVE to see grownups mess up.

Oh! And the subtle separtion from the background in the second shot is perfect. Love those highlights in the hair. You model of couse is the best!

-Pete Christie

Most reactions

New Topics

Back