I am planning to buy a new camera and I am deciding between the following. I was hoping some experts' opinions would help better facilitate my decision making.
1. Olympus E-P1
2. Panasonic DMC-LX3
3. Panasonic DMC-GF1
4. Canon G11
Other recommendations would be great too.
1) I posted my opinions about the E-P1 several months ago in another thread:
"So my local camera shop has one in stock and was nice enough to let me handle it. I am not claiming this to be a review of any sorts, just my initial thoughts from the 10 mins I had it in my hands. I also didn't have a card with me (on my way home from work) so I didn't get a chance to get samples to examine. I also got some additional time with the Panasonic G1 that I've been eyeing as well as a comparison.
As much as I want to like the camera, I just can't get into it.
* The camera felt solid and it is a very attractive design. It has a very retro look to it. It isn't much smaller than my rangefinders.
* I didn't like how you had to manually extend the lens before use.. It slowed me down A LOT. The panasonic kit lens doesn't require to manually extend the lens and it is just a tiny bit longer.. big deal. P&S cameras that electronically extend the lens are faster.
* The AF seemed a little slower than the pansonic G1.
* The fixed LCD has a wide viewing angle but just isn't a replacement to the swing out LCD of the panasonic G1. My Canon G5 has a similar design and I like it.. one of the features I wish continued into Canon's current G-series cameras.
* The LCD display is noticably lower resolution than the G1. Someone mentioned it is like the difference between a normal resolution TV versus HD. Both will work but HD is so much nicer. I agree.
* BIG DEAL BREAKER: I tried and tried. I just prefer an eye-level viewer. I cannot get used to holding the camera at arms length to compose a picture. The G1 automatically switches between the eye-level viewer and the LCD panel. It is very fluid and slick.
Since the first mock up at photokina, I have been so excited but I just can't help feel the E-P1 was designed more by Olympus' P&S division (they have good P&S cameras btw) rather than lead by their DSLR division. As a high end P&S, this seems to be one very good competitor. I am still excited over the new m4/3rd design but there are just too many things about this Olympus E-P1 that doesn't fit me. I also don't like how both Panasonic and Olympus are not releasing a line of lenses (fast primes!) along with the new format. After all, a system is lead by the lenses not by the camera bodies.
For me, I will probably eventually go with the Panasonic G1 (used as always). I really do like the camera... it is very slick and feels nice. It serves well as a compact backup to those DSLR users who don't like P&S. In my case, a replacement for my aging Canon G5. It serves as a neat adaptable system for people who like old manual lenses (my m-mounts, K-mounts, M42).
For those coming in from the other end of the spectrum (P&S considering higher end), the Olympus would be a nice option. Better IQ and AF with a familiar P&S feel to it. Those in this corner would probably also consider the Canon G10 and Pansonic LX3. My personal choice in this arena would be the LX3."
2) DMC-LX3
This is one of my most used and enjoyed cameras. Absolute blast. I have it paired with an optical external flash slave: Metz 28 CS-2. I wrote my opinion in another thread:
"I have the LX3 and it totally fits my needs. Fast lens, good low light shooting (for a P&S), good IQ, RAW, multiple exposure modes, and smaller than the G-series. My second choice was the G10 (or G9) but I needed something significantly smaller than my primary cameras to make it worth my while. Prior to the LX3, my P&S's were the G1 and G5. I also have a TZ5 which is not a high end P&S.. more like an all around super zoom.
Things I don't like: Short focal range (this is a big stopper for a lot of people), confusing menus (i got used to it) and no optical viewfinder. You can buy a viewfinder but they should have made a brightline viewfinder with both 24mm and 60mm brightlines. Someone wasn't thinking things through when they spec'd out the viewfinder."
3) In another thread, I spoke a bit about the GF1:
"I have a few Panasonic camera now (TZ5, LX3, and G1)... great company who is pushing the compact camera. Right now I am playing around with the earlier version, the G1.
* GF1 doesn't have a built in viewfinder. With the EVF viewfinder, it works well but it doesn't have much of the information you are used to seeing in a viewfinder. In this respect, I much prefer my G1 or the GH1.
* With the EVF viewfinder attached the camera is taller than the G1.
* AF performance beat my expectations.
* Not exactly pocketable. Bigger than my LX3.
* I liked the swing out LCD of my G1 not found on the GF1.
* Cost wise. It is expensive relatively. You can buy a G1 for less and it will have The EVF built in. GF1 buys you nothing more than compactness.
* I like the way the GF1 handles. I shoot with rangefinders and it felt natural in an odd way.
* The micro 4/3rds sensor has a 2x crop. Lens selection is limited (for now). I personally bought the G1 as something to play around with older lenses (M42, Kmount, M-mount, Leica screwmount).
* The sensor is small... high ISO is not going to be anywhere close to your Nikon. You want to stay under 400.
That's all that comes to mind now... I borrowed it a couple times but didn't really have much time with it before finding a good deal on a G1. If you ask more specifics I might recall more."
I will also add that the G1 and GH1 EVF viewfinder is superior to the GF1 EVF viewfinder. More information is displayed. My G1 also senses when I bring the EVF to my face and automatically switches between the EVF and rear LCD. Also keep in mind that the Micro 4/3rds sensor is larger (and better) than the tiny sensored P&S cameras... pretty much sets this system above the others. I also still find GF1+viewfinder a bit expensive.
IMO, the success of this format is dependent on delivery of excellent lenses + accessories. This isn't a camera purchase but more of a system buy in just like any other DSLR system. As for me, I haven't exactly bought in to the 4/3rds system as the G1 (used) was intended to "play around" with my collection of manual focus lenses... taking advantage of the micro 4/3rds short film flange distance.
4) Canon G11.. the well known leader in the P&S group. I am big fan of the g-series (except the G7). Unfortunately, I haven't had much time with the G11 and my LX3 full fills my needs well. I'm sure its well deserved its good reviews.
Be aware, that I agree that none of these cameras will replace a full DSLR system for sheer Image Quality. On the other hand, these are tools that fit people's daily lives and enjoyment. I have access to numerous cameras including a 1 series canon but the LX3 (for example) follows me on my daily life.