Penny the Wonderdoodle (feedback please!)

Wfpinky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A little over two weeks ago I brought home a beautiful F1B mini-goldendoodle (f1b means a cross between a goldendoodle and poodle) and named her Penny. Some of you know I was kind of struggling a bit learning how to use my speedlite. Well, turns out taking pictures of Penny turned out to be really good practice! All of these were taken inside with my Nikon D3200, 35mm f/1.8, and my Energizer speedlite.

Feedback as usual is always welcome! Can't progress if someone doesn't point out what needs work :1247:.

View attachment 92393

rsz_dsc_1064.jpg

rsz_dsc_1070.jpg

Last edited:
Lighting-wise, they're not bad. A bit under-exposed, but nothing that's not easily recoverable in post. The pictures themselves however could use a little more work. The compositions are rather centred, with bits of paw cropped off (#3) and need to be leveled. Addditionally, just because you have a lens that opens to f1.8, doesn't mean you need to use it there. I think all of these would have been greatly improved were they shot at f5.6 or so; yes, more of the background would have been in focus, but so would more of Penny's face. You got her eyes sharp, but it would be nice to see from nose to ears in sharp focus.

Lighting-wise, they're not bad. A bit under-exposed, but nothing that's not easily recoverable in post. The pictures themselves however could use a little more work. The compositions are rather centred, with bits of paw cropped off (#3) and need to be leveled. Addditionally, just because you have a lens that opens to f1.8, doesn't mean you need to use it there. I think all of these would have been greatly improved were they shot at f5.6 or so; yes, more of the background would have been in focus, but so would more of Penny's face. You got her eyes sharp, but it would be nice to see from nose to ears in sharp focus.

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it. I brought the exposure down a little bit in Lightroom, I felt like they were a tad too bright but it's probably just a preference thing. Thanks for pointing out the centered composition, that something I plan on working on this year as I have a bad habit of always wanting to center portraits.

Cute pup!

Just be aware that your phone number and full name are included in #1. You might want to take that picture down or block that information out...

Cute pup!

Just be aware that your phone number and full name are included in #1. You might want to take that picture down or block that information out...
Yikes! Didn't notice that before, thanks!

I think…I…uh…in my opinion…

No, sorry, I can't concentrate on any advice--I'm too busy at staring at that ADORABLE little puppy!!
I'm not really even a dog person, but goodness gracious that is a bundle of adorable right there!

As far as advice…just go back and read what tirediron said again and pretend that's what I typed. Because it's what I *would* have said, if I could stop staring at the cute puppy. :D

I think…I…uh…in my opinion…

No, sorry, I can't concentrate on any advice--I'm too busy at staring at that ADORABLE little puppy!!
I'm not really even a dog person, but goodness gracious that is a bundle of adorable right there!

As far as advice…just go back and read what tirediron said again and pretend that's what I typed. Because it's what I *would* have said, if I could stop staring at the cute puppy. :D

Haha thanks! She's terribly distracting with such a cute face (I swear she gets cuter every day).

Most reactions

Back