What's new

Pentax is Sold

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
9,521
Reaction score
347
Location
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looks like their line of bad decisions are catching up. As a fan of Pentax, I have that "Oh well" response but I do wish them the best. Hey, at least it went to another photographic company...

http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/news/latest/d0h4dj0000001fv8-att/d0h4dj0000001fwi.pdf


I suspect that Hoya never really considered the division seriously as its not part of their core competency... so it just might be a good thing. Just maybe..
 
Ricoh is not that bad of a camera company. They do have a long history, though not as old as Pentax (1936 vs. 1919).

I remember the old days when I was selling Ricoh SLR's ... they were pretty good and quiet innovative in some of their designs.
 
Hoya needed to absorb multiple,multiple quarters worth of Pentax losses in order to save face in Japan; Pentax still has a following in the home market, and the executives at Hoya could not simply move in, buy up Pentax, and then dump it without losing face. It's kind of sad how a once semi-thriving, bit player of a company can go from being that to being a struggling, very weak bit player. I wish they'd simply sell all their lens designs to Nikon, and be done with it all.
 
aww... wonder whats gonna happen to the 645 medium formats...
 
"According to Japanese publication Nikkei Business Daily, Ricoh will pay Hoya 10 billion yen ($124 million) to acquire its Pentax operation."

From Wikipedia
"Hoya acquired the camera company Pentax in 2007, for the price of US$1 billion, about 10% more than Pentax was valued at the time."

Hum ... that's quite a bit of loss.
 
"According to Japanese publication Nikkei Business Daily, Ricoh will pay Hoya 10 billion yen ($124 million) to acquire its Pentax operation."

From Wikipedia
"Hoya acquired the camera company Pentax in 2007, for the price of US$1 billion, about 10% more than Pentax was valued at the time."

Hum ... that's quite a bit of loss.

Yes I am sure its a loss BUT it might not be as bad as you think. Hoya purchased Pentax whole but only sold portions to Ricoh.





As for the 645, I hope it continues... I'd like to buy one used in a few years after it hits rock bottom in depreciation. I have a whole 645 system I'd like to try out in digital.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom