Pentax ME Super

JayP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A friend of mine has been given an old Pentax ME Super. Its a lovely old camera. It appears to work and is in good condition. Not yet tested. My question, which i'm hoping some people can anwser for me is can you still get bits for this? and if it broke who can I get to fix it? It seems a shame if it doesn't work not to get fixed.

Cheers, Jay

According to a quick look at their website, Pentax doesn't repair the ME or the ME Super anymore - but there are a ton of other places that will be happy to!

These are indeed great little cameras, and there are a million of them out there. That's always good to know about a model, because those that are beyond repair are still great for parts. ;) Whether you find a camera repair store locally or want to check an online service, you should really have very little difficulty keeping it in great shape. :)

I had a quick look through Ebay to see what I could find and I was shocked to find quite alot! It seems these cameras are more popular than I thought and there seems to be a few extra bits and bobs to go with em!

Thanks for that. Does anyone have any experience of using them?

J

JayP said:

I had a quick look through Ebay to see what I could find and I was shocked to find quite alot! It seems these cameras are more popular than I thought and there seems to be a few extra bits and bobs to go with em!

Thanks for that. Does anyone have any experience of using them?

J

Yes, I had one. My first grant cheque at university funded it back in 1983 (for the youngsters, a "grant" is what the government gave us to live on at the tax payer's expense while doing next to nothing for 3 years; kind of the opposite of fees and student loans that you have now. I got £800 a term in my first year, my rent was £13 a week, so that left plenty for cameras...).

Anyway, it was a very nice camera, small, easy to use. Sturdy too, although I expect the buttons on the top (for changing the shutter speed) would suffer some wear over 20 years of use. Traded mine in for a Pentax K1000, which is another fantastic camera, although I wish I still had the ME. First SLR is a bit like your first girlfriend - you never forget.

Thomsk

Pentax MEs and their cousin's MXs are a joy to use. IMO all of the cameras leading up to the M, K series and of course the LX ( wish I had one ) are great cameras. The good news is that K-mounts lenses are easy to find and relatively inexpensive. They even work with newer Pentax autofocus cameras too. I still find myself opening up my display cabinet to shoot with one... Letsee... ME chrome, ME black, ME-F, ME super, ME-SE... which one to choose this time.

There are a few places that you can ship the camera to for repairs.... I believe www.camerarepair.com is one of them. BTW... there's a power winder "ME-II" available for that camera. Adds a nice grip and feel to the camera.

i've got one too! i don't think you could break it (being careful that is) it's made out of metal instead of plastic like more modern cameras. very very durable. mine is like a family heirloom of sorts. it's been working perfectly for years.

I still have mine (okay, I swiped it from my husband) :mrgreen: and I love that thing. Sturdy, small, reliable - I shoot all my infrared with it. Best of all, when I bought my more "modern" Pentax MZ-S and my super-duper new lenses, they're interchangable with the old ME - so I've given it new life along the way.

Can't go wrong with it. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back