PENTAX Ranked #1 in Buyer Satisfaction

The K5 is a great little camera and produces fine files. I had an equipment failure with my MF digital on a recent trip to Iceland and had to live with my backup camera - the K5 and only two lenses (25MM Zeiss and 50-135) for two weeks. Although the files are smaller the results are wonderful. You can see them all on my web site: adweckphoto.com, go to the galleries link and then Globe-Trotting, you'll find the Iceland photos, all but one shot with the K5. I'll post one here as an example.

Consumer satisfaction surveys may or may not be valid and the small point spread doesn't really mean much, especially if this is an initial satisfaction survey. The long term surveys are more valid. That said, the Pentax K-5 does offer robust build and good ergonomics. I have issues with some of the controls, but for the most part the K-5 is a satisfactory camera.

Attachments

• $Running horses©.jpg
    $Running horses©.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 200
I think it also has to do with the the prominence of the brand as well. I mean, how many average consumers just go out and buy a Pentax? I assume that most of Pentax's customers are people who have done research and decided that Pentax best suits their needs, instead of every grandma, stay-at-home-mom, and college who would rather go to Walmart and pick out that big Nikon that's so expensive so it MUST take better pictures.

I've NEVER walked into ANY store that sells Pentax DSLRs. I'm sure big camera stores do, but no store in my city carries anything Pentax.

The problem is this: people who buy Pentax are effectively saying "I Don't want a Canon, I don't want a Nikon and I don't even want Sony"

Now that's like saying "I don't want a Ferrari, I don't want a Porsche, I want a Toyota" Hmm wtf?

That's kinda crazy if you ask me.

The problem is this: people who buy Pentax are effectively saying "I Don't want a Canon, I don't want a Nikon and I don't even want Sony"

Now that's like saying "I don't want a Ferrari, I don't want a Porsche, I want a Toyota" Hmm wtf?

Not in my case. I own a Canon and it's a fine camera. Now, I want a Pentax because of certain unique features and abilities unavailable on Canon or Nikon, either at similar or at any price.

The car brand comment made me smile, though! I've had two new BMWs and both were wonderfully-engineered cars with amazing features, but now I own a 12-year old used Kia Rio (manual, no AC, no power anything). It performs remarkable well and has been perfectly reliable and in the year I've had it. Of course, I'd love another BMW, but I have nothing bad to say about the Kia. I think the Ferrari-Porsche-Toyota comparison is, perhaps, a little exaggerated. Hehehe... ;)

Now now dont give Sony that much credit =)

Not in my case. I own a Canon and it's a fine camera. Now, I want a Pentax because of certain unique features and abilities unavailable on Canon or Nikon, either at similar or at any price.

The car brand comment made me smile, though! I've had two new BMWs and both were wonderfully-engineered cars with amazing features, but now I own a 12-year old used Kia Rio (manual, no AC, no power anything). It performs remarkable well and has been perfectly reliable and in the year I've had it. Of course, I'd love another BMW, but I have nothing bad to say about the Kia. I think the Ferrari-Porsche-Toyota comparison is, perhaps, a little exaggerated. Hehehe... ;)

What does Pentax do differenty? I've heard that they use a different "type" of sensor (I think?) that has different results than either Canon's or Sony's. It's not Bayer but something else....That might have been Sigma though. I don't remember.

What does Pentax do differenty? I've heard that they use a different "type" of sensor (I think?) that has different results than either Canon's or Sony's. It's not Bayer but something else....That might have been Sigma though. I don't remember.

hmm... I don't know how different it is, but it is highly rated. The K-5 APS-C 16.3MP sensor scores very well against, and by some measures better than, the sensors in the Canon 7D and Nikon D7000. DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

But I'm mostly interested in the K-5's in-body image stabilization feature, and the wealth of used, inexpensive lenses available - all of which instantly benefit from image stabilization. Sony also offers in-body image stabilization, but I'm not into the electronic viewfinder; I've tried it and it's nice to have a lot of information visible, but I just prefer an analog instrument.

Mostly, people buy Pentax, because they're cheapskates and don't want to pay extra for the prestige of owning a Canon or a Nikon. As long as you can get more quality for less money with Pentax, they'll continue to do it.

When I shot film, I used Nikons almost exclusively. But somehow, I really liked the *stDS. And I've been buying Pentax ever since. And happy with it.

noooo way! come on. If your going to relate camera brands to cars I think a better comparison would be honda= nikon, toyota = canon, mazda= pentax. Think about the build quality and the performance of these cameras. The relation is much closer.

While it is true such surveys don't mean a whole lot, Pentax products are very fine. I completely understand why most professionals use Nikon and that other one... oh yeah, Canon- because the already vast customer base allows for a more comprehensive variety of useful pro accessories for every day photo business. Canikons are great, and their lenses and 3rd party support are first rate. For the mere amateur photography enthusiast, however, the playing field is far more evened out in spite of all the the Ford/Chevy posturing. I've been using Pentax products forever, starting with the K1000, ME Super and MX, but have observed many a friend sink big $$$ into other systems, only to eventually lose interest and sell everything off or worse, let it all mildew in a box somewhere. Whatever system you buy into, the satisfaction you get from your craft and art transcends the tools you use to create it. And Pentax gear isn't exactly cheap, either. The lenses range from good to superb, plus all of them will function on the latest bodies, with in-camera SR. I remain "brand loyal" not only because it's for the most part well-designed equipment targeted at enthusiasts like me, but I gotta enjoy the occasional comment like "Pentax? Really? I thought they went out of business decades ago!" Hahaha, not yet, anyway...

I want a Pentax because of certain unique features and abilities unavailable on Canon or Nikon

Such as...

Now now dont give Sony that much credit =)

HAH I was expecting this reply..

The weather sealing in Pentax's K-5 and K-30 are equal to the weather sealing you get in a 1D series Canon or similar Nikon.
The sensor Pentax uses in the K-5 is the same as the D7000, yet the Pentax manages to get more dynamic range out of the sensor. In fact, it has more dynamic range than the Canon 5d MKII as base ISO.
The new Pentax K-5ii can autofocus in -3EV.
You also have access to the excellent prime lenses Pentax makes (the limited), as well as over 25 million legacy lenses and their pro series DA* lenses.
The K5 is also rated as the top APS-C sensor.

If you don't know what you're talking about, please stop feeding people with misinformation.

this kind of satisfaction survey is silly because so much hinges on the weighting of individual questions.

+1

And the fact Pentax has so few customers compared to the big 2...their customers are Pentax "loyalists"

GnipGnop said:
The weather sealing in Pentax's K-5 and K-30 are equal to the weather sealing you get in a 1D series Canon or similar Nikon.
The sensor Pentax uses in the K-5 is the same as the D7000, yet the Pentax manages to get more dynamic range out of the sensor. In fact, it has more dynamic range than the Canon 5d MKII as base ISO.
The new Pentax K-5ii can autofocus in -3EV.
You also have access to the excellent prime lenses Pentax makes (the limited), as well as over 25 million legacy lenses and their pro series DA* lenses.
The K5 is also rated as the top APS-C sensor.

If you don't know what you're talking about, please stop feeding people with misinformation.

Is somebody thing through buyer's remorse, trying to justify the purchase maybe? ;) jk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back