Pentax Screwmount

blackdoglab

yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy folks,
I've started building a system of Pentax Screwmount lenses and bodies. I currently usa a Zenit 12 body along with a Tokina 35mm, Heilos 58mm, and a Vivitar 135mm. Do any of you have any reccomendations for other good lenses in this mount?

During that time, there were many manufacturers using the M42 screw mount. Pretty much the leader was Takumar/Pentax in terms of glass. If you stick to Takumar/pentax, you are good to go.

http://www.aohc.it/

In this case, ebay is your friend. The Takumars are plentiful and cheap now a days. I have a collection myself... very enjoyable to have and use.

Zeiss lenses are good, tessars, pancolars, sonnars and flektogons are the ones to watch.

Again, ebay is your friend - but if you go for a Tessar or Pancolar 50mm, make sure that the focus isn't as stiff as a rusty nut before you buy - in my experience, the 'zebra' style lenses are more prone to stiffening than the black ones.

Mind you a decent flektogon 35/f2.4 can set you back around £100 GBP, but nice lenses for it. The f2.8 ones are cheaper.

Asahi Takumars are a safe bet in terms of both optics and build. Fujinons are also good but there may be slight compatibility issues depending on the body. Chinon and Ricoh (Rikenon) can be good too. As tempra says the East German Zeiss lenses can be very good but build quality was perhaps not the best. If you want to go with the Soviet theme for your Zenit you could buy Jupiter lenses, some of which are very nice optically if you get a good one. The age and variety of M42 lenses means that buying them, especially on eBay, can be something of a gamble, but it's also very rewarding.

This site has a list of M42 lenses. A big list.

Howdy folks,
I've started building a system of Pentax Screwmount lenses and bodies. I currently usa a Zenit 12 body along with a Tokina 35mm, Heilos 58mm, and a Vivitar 135mm. Do any of you have any reccomendations for other good lenses in this mount?

I would also look into East German lenses, as in Praktica SM lenses. I had a Domiplan (Tessar design) that was out of this world!

I love the Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with the radioactive lens element. They go for cheap because the radioactive lens element tends to turn yellow (although there are apparently ways to fix this if you search). I only shoot BW with my Spotmatics, so it's no big deal to me. Sort of like having a built in contrast filter.

I love the Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with the radioactive lens element. They go for cheap because the radioactive lens element tends to turn yellow (although there are apparently ways to fix this if you search). I only shoot BW with my Spotmatics, so it's no big deal to me. Sort of like having a built in contrast filter.

Here is a way to fix the radiation yellowed Takumars:

http://www.hermes.net.au/bayling/repair.html

;)

I know that Yashica made screwmount bodies and lenses at one time, what are those like?

I can't test that method; I live in England. Sun, for a week? Surely it's not possible! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back