People asking for my photos

Ian.H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Firstly, let me stress that I'm far from being anywhere near a pro photographer. I'm definitely hobbyist, but looking to progress more in the future, but I think would more than likely keep it as a hobby as I learnt back in the early 00s that turning a hobby (then web development) into a full-time profession often ruins the once love you had for it, or at least knocks the edges off it with demands and deadlines etc.

Anyway.. I've had a bizarre (for me!) situation arise... I went to a car event at Castle Combe (UK race track) at the weekend and whilst my car was parked up one one of the stands, took off with the camera to get some snaps of other's pride and joys and also some track action. I've not done any action shots really, at least not to talk about.. and was experimenting with panning etc.. however, I've had a couple of people sign up on a car forum I posted a few pics on just to ask if I had any (more) pics of their cars on track... what do I do here? This time, I'm happy to just share them as I'm quite flattered that anyone would actually ask me (or is this a mistake in itself?)... but also aware that "official" shots at events aren't cheap (I think the entry shots of Ford Fair that I attended year were ~£15 for a digital "high-res" shot that IMHO, weren't great pics anyway). The photos I've taken aren't perfect as I'm learning from the start really with action shots.. but some aren't too bad.

I was planning when I get some free time (hopefully, maybe, sometime)... developing a website to exhibit my better photos, but do I make them available for purchase too if people wanted them? If so, how would it be best to go about this? One off price for unlimited usage? Limited application? sell posted prints? digital downloads? Developing the site do any of the above isn't an issue, but the "marketing" / conditions I don't know where to start with regards to the photos themselves.... any info / advice etc would be more than welcome.

Here's a couple of examples of the photos in question (I posted one of these and the driver / owner has asked if I had any more).

DSC_0927-large.jpg DSC_0957-large.jpg

Cheers..

Ian

Last edited:
I know at most tracks you are not aloud to sell any photos you take, as there is already a hired professional on site.

And if your caught selling prints you will be banned from that track...

So the first thing I would do is find out about the rules of that track and to see if they allow you to sell photos from their track.

If your allowed, heck yeah I'd make a website and allow people to buy prints.

I'd join all the car forums, and post up a couple samples and post a link to my site for the rest.

Chances are 99% just want to look at cool shots of their cars and 1% may actually make a purchase.

If you want to sell prints, look into mobile printing, or printing on site.

Hire a assistant and upload photos every hour or two hours on site and set up like a stand or booth.

I've found, that people buy more in the spur of the moment rather than later.

Goodluck.

I use to photograph motocross by the way :)

Thanks Sean.. I've just had a quick glance at their T&Cs and it clearly (unfortunately) states that the use of photographic (and other similar things) are fine for non-commercial use only.. so there goes that one :)

I didn't think many would be interested, as as you rightly say, most people just want to see themselves and they'd probably be more than happy with just viewing and saving a 800x600 or something copy off of a site anyway to stick up on farcebook or the likes... I guess it was just some thoughts after something that took me a bit by surprise and just figured it might be a nice option for anyone who did fancy it on the off-chance.

I think mobile printing and an assistant / stand, whilst great ideas, are both currently beyond both my financial position for this and tbh, my talent level right now. I'd say out of the 700 or so action photos I took that day, maybe 100 are what I'd deem "worth showing". The static shots are much better, but they're hardly "photoshoots" of people's cars due to where they are and their surroundings.

Now that the initial "wow someone's asked for my photos!" moment has past a bit, I think I'm going to chalk this one down as a good learning step and that I must be slowly getting slightly better but to take it as that just, experience.

I know each track will probably have their own set of conditions, but on average, how does it work? Is it a percentage of profits deal? Fixed fee to be allowed to just have the rights to sell, however many that may or may not be? Just thinking aloud now :)

Thanks again for your advice.. it's much appreciated!

I've not been to a motocross event.. but do normally go to the Speedway GP in Cardiff every year, although only take photos from the stands (hopefully the lower the better!)

Cheers..

Ian

I LOVE THAT MINI! :1219:

UK laws are pretty similar to US laws so selling prints to individuals is probably considered a non-commercial, editorial use.

Printing and selling on site at the track would likely require permission (a signed contract) from the track to set up a stand or booth, plug into their electrical grid, etc.
The track would likely require you provide them with a COI (certificate of insurance) that has them listed as an additional insured entity.
The track would also likely expect you to pay them for the space and electricity you use.
Dye-sub printers (about $1500 USD per printer) work best in that type of on-location printing situation and you would need at least 2 printers in case 1 printer becomes inoperable.

Unfortunately, most people in the US do not know what Speedway is, or who American riders (2x GP Champion) Greg Hancock or the now retired 1x GP Champion Billy Hamill are.
I think most Americans would be amazed to see Cardiff's Millennium Stadium packed with spectators for a British Speedway GP event.
There is some Speedway racing in the L.A. area, but virtually no where else in the USA.

Most reactions

Back