People Panning

Juice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chaosjourney.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never done panning before, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I tried it on some of the rides at the local county fair. Anyway, here's what I ended up getting:

SaratogaCountyFair115.jpg

SaratogaCountyFair106.jpg

SaratogaCountyFair098.jpg

last one is definately the best. nice job on that one

Probably because it was the easiest. I could follow them around the whole circle as the swings went around, allowing me to keep focus on them. The other 2 I had to focus and lock on quickly before they went around and I lost sight of them, then wait for their next pass.

makes sense

Ive tried this a couple times, just have trouble keeping the focused locked on such a moving object. Deff agree 3rd is the best, and looks decent. What's your shutter speed on these?

This is strictly a educated guess, since I have never tried panning myself, but I think one of the issues on all but the last one (which I really like, by the way) is there is too much movement in multiple axis. One of the things I remember reading about panning is you only want movement on one plane, and in one direction. And you don't want the subject moving toward or away from you. So either left or right, or up or down, and never toward or away.

Something for you to chew on, anyway.

Ive tried this a couple times, just have trouble keeping the focused locked on such a moving object. Deff agree 3rd is the best, and looks decent. What's your shutter speed on these?

The first two are 1/250th, and the last one is 1/200th. Like I said, I could follow the swings longer, so I could get away with a slower shutter.

This is strictly a educated guess, since I have never tried panning myself, but I think one of the issues on all but the last one (which I really like, by the way) is there is too much movement in multiple axis. One of the things I remember reading about panning is you only want movement on one plane, and in one direction. And you don't want the subject moving toward or away from you. So either left or right, or up or down, and never toward or away.

Something for you to chew on, anyway.

That's assuming all situations are ideal, which is almost never the case. :mrgreen:

sorry, these don't appear to be panning. the background needs to blur on the horizantal plane in the background. These are fun snaps of what i would assume are your children and they are fun.

the shutter speed is too fast, try 1/30 or slower .

As suggested keeping the subject on the same axis will help.

this is a technique that takes a lot of practice (as does most of what we do) :)

keep trying.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back