People Watching

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am such a shy person that I dont even think I have taken a photo of anybody outside my family. I always see people walking or doing something very interesting and want to take a shot but I just cant. I dont know if I should ask or just take it. If I ask...what do I say? What if they say no?

I know that a few around here have talked about people watching. What are the restrictions on this? Can you grab your telephoto lens and get some shots? Do you have to personally ask them if its alright?

I am pretty sure that legally you can take the photo without any problems. Public domain or something like that. At least thats the case around here. I am thinking more about ethics and what is right in that regard.

You can take pictures of anyone that's in public, as far as I know....you just can't make a profit off of them w/out a model release.

So if I were to take a picture of somebody in public and down the road somebody wanted to purchase that photo....I couldnt. Unless I hunted that person down and got permission. Hmm. I can see the logic, and ethics, in that but it kinda sucks.

Soul Rebel said:
So if I were to take a picture of somebody in public and down the road somebody wanted to purchase that photo....I couldnt. Unless I hunted that person down and got permission. Hmm. I can see the logic, and ethics, in that but it kinda sucks.

actually, I believe it CAN be sold IF the person isn't identifiable.

core_17 said:
actually, I believe it CAN be sold IF the person isn't identifiable.

Alright.

One of the shots I took awhile back, on film, was of a guy walking his dog. It was taken from behind and all you could see is them walking away from me down the path. I loved that photo. I wish it had actually turned out a little better.

Those are the shots that I would love to take from afar. Shots of people doing things where you cant identify them and you could really imagine anybody in that spot. I love those shots, if that even makes sense, lol.

I have seen shots of people, such as marketplaces, that have been posted here at TPF. Do you have to get that persons permission to show off the work? Or just to receive money in return?

Be a tourist. ;)

I'm not a shy person and have met some interesting people just by asking if I can take their picture. I've been lucky because most the time they say yes. If they say no I move on and respect that.

It's a great way to meet people. I always make an effort to get them a copy by sending them one or by email. Sometimes I have an Epson Photomate hooked up in my vehicle and print them one on the spot.

danalec99 said:
Be a tourist. ;)
Get a funny hat, a fake accent and carry a translating book :)

I don't often ask. I've asked for a photo about once, and by then I had already talked to the guy about photography. It's not like you can just go out one day and start. I started shooting from the hip with a nearly silent rangefinder. Then moved up to actually raising the camera to my eye. Now I'm using a louder SLR. Just lately I'm starting to work with a flash. Just because I like the frozen motion and lighting effect.

Photographers over-perceive their presence. I've taken photos of people and I'm sure they would notice the noise, but they just don't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back