People who want you to work for free because you know them...

Two hats worn by us. One hat is for the paying clients which will take presidence as there is an exchange for service, that's just plain and simple.

The second hat is worn during the off season to help out friends and family who aren't able to afford the typical service and we personalize it for them...sometimes it comes out of our pocket as it's free. No amount of money can quantify the return. I also help out in senior homes for other work, but also I've done some sessions for these folks.

It really depends on how you want to structure it. For us, shooting season is strictly for such. Outside of that time frame, then we become flexible and try to give back.

On the other hand, if there was somebody who wanted a free shoot and felt entitled to my time and my resources, I would turn them down every time and would probably reconsider my relationship with them.

As my skill improves I've been getting more freebie requests with that entitlement feeling. I started telling them that even though I am not a professional I try and conduct myself as one. Thus, I prefer not to mix business with pleasure so to speak. The only freebies I shoot are my nieces and nephews because 1) it keeps me on top of the favorite uncle list and 2) they're just too darn precious not to :lol:

If my friends request my services I give them a slight discount, but I mostly keep my friends happy by using them for the special projects that are just for me. If there's something I want to do, I ask whichever friend would work best for the project and ask them if they want some free pictures. Letting them know that it's only free when it's something specific I want to shoot usually keeps them from asking me for free stuff.

If that doesn't work, I refer them to craigslist.

Normally I would agree with everyone regarding not shooting friends for free just because they expect it. However, you did mention that the person had done you favors in the past. What's the extent of the favors? I have a friend who has put in hours and hours of his time working on my motorcycle / lawnmowers and pretty much anything engine related I own. In return I've fixed his PCs and laptops. I know he is far ahead in time spent so if ever he came looking for a portrait session (once i get better) there's no way I would ever consider charging him. (I'd even throw in some free prints in his case). Point is, it depends on the relationship you have with the people who ask/expect it.

First of all, you have to have your own opinion about this. And a strong one. You talk and you do what you're confident about.
Let's take for example: the sister that has camera too, she has one, right? The friends ask for you to shoot after all, right? There MUST be a reason.
YOU are the photographer, the editor; the artist!

So you're the master and they are your puppets, I mean, may sound harsh, but it's the frigging truth! They want you, because you're good at what you're doing!

The discount? Well, do as you feel like. It's always complicated when talking money with people close to you, you really have to have it all figured out before you're having this talk with then face to face. Will you charge them full or half price - it's your and only YOUR decision!

Most reactions

Back