Personal Assignment. C&C would help.

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok. Not a terribly interesting subject, but that wasn't the point.

The challenge: take a very shiny plastic object, place it on a white background, and use two speedlights. The idea was to get as close to infinite white as possible, and not get any glare from the speedlights on the subject.

The setup:

A piece of white posterboard setup at a 90 degree angle, bottom flat against the table, and top resting on a prop.

Record placed in so that it makes contact only at the top and bottom of the paper, with about 5 inches of space between the center and the background. (this would be easy if the record was flat against the paper, wouldn't it? Can't have that, that would have been cheating.)

Two speedlights through 42" umbrellas, one 80 degrees camera left, the other 80 degrees camera right.

Shot with a 135mm Nikkor 2.8 @ f/8 and 1/125, ISO 100

I think it turned out pretty well. Outside of cropping this is pretty much straight out of the camera. The only parts that aren't dead white are the hole in the middle, a bit around the bottom where the record made contact with the paper and a tiny little part above the "J" in Johnny.

I would love it if you would point out my photographic faults on this one. Like I said, it really isn't a fantastic image, but it was just an exercize in lighting. I came up with what I wanted to produce, set it up, and nailed it first take. (well, for the most part anyways). I'm pretty damned excited about that.

Last edited:
Nothing?!?

Ouch. And here I was puffing my chest out over this one.

I don't really see a lot to critique; as you say, it was a lighting exercise in which you acheived about a 95% on the first go. Well done you! As far as improving, really, subtle variations in exposure might get you that last five percent, but it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back