Peter Jennings

What a great loss.

I just read about that. :heart: Part of the scenery for soooo many years....he will be missed.

I remember when Frank Reynolds died and Peter took over; I thought no one's gonna be able to step into Franks shoes....boy was I wrong! Peter Jennings did just that and more - what a huge loss!

My father was a news anchor and I grew up hanging around TV stations and seeing how it was done. Some of it is showmanship, but not at the level Jennings was at. He really scrambled all over the world and worked very hard. It's not as easy as he made it look, not a hair out of place. ;) I had no idea he was that sick; kept thinking he was going to return. Quite a loss. :(

They had a special on him last night on ABC...almost made me cry...mostly cuz the people they interviewed seemed like they were about to cry. They had Ted Koppel, Barbara Walters, Diane Sawyer, among others, on. I didn't know much about him, but learned a lot during that special...he really seemed to be quite a good person. :(

We Canadians were quite proud to be able to call him one of our own. RIP

Not to drag this off topic...but this is close to my heart. He was a heavy smoker and died of Lung Cancer...let this be a lesson to all of us.

Big Mike said:
We Canadians were quite proud to be able to call him one of our own. RIP

Not to drag this off topic...but this is close to my heart. He was a heavy smoker and died of Lung Cancer...let this be a lesson to all of us.
Even worse, I think he said when he made the annoucement that he was going off-air that he had quit 20 years ago, after virtually chain-smoking the first half of his life. Damage lingers. It is a terrible waste.

He also did it all without a college degree...also he looked damn good for his age. His illness did not show until the end. RIP.

A great journalist. We have lost so many in recent years. The field may be taking a nose dive. Could it be that we are destined to get our news from a bunch of talking heads that never leave the studio? I cite the gang at CNN as an example. Generally of course. Christina Annapour is an exception that immediately comes to mind.

Most reactions

Back