Philadelphia C&C.

MGriff240

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well today I took a class at the Art Institute of Philadelphia for photography to check out the campus and such...I just became a senior in high school, so I'm starting my hunt for the right school.

The class was a joke for someone like me who actually had taken some classes previously, so I took it upon myself to just have fun and shoot in the city all day. Feel free to C&C any and/or all. :thumbup:

4746772050_f49edf5110.jpg

4746774594_d567bbd4d3.jpg

4746776394_6df78a1609.jpg

4746138381_440107b357.jpg

4746141701_7de5de1d0e.jpg

4746143963_3f50452b70.jpg

4746153337_43f95c672a.jpg

5 and 6 really stand out but theyre all pretty good I think

i like 3 and 6 and 6 is one of those photos where tilt makes sense

Although I love taking photos of corners of building, I don't think i would do it to EVERY one of them :) #3 and #5 is nice and #4 can be composed differently. Too much to have 3 in a row of buildings :)

Did you try HDR on a few of these pictures? The edges of the buildings are blown out at the sky transition. I would like to see a color picture of #1 with the lens flare.

They’re all good IMO. I like 3 a lot.

Good stuff! #3 and 4 are a little static, #1 and 7 are the best - good exposure in contrasty lighting! I also like city photography, especially in center city Philly where there are lots of alleys and narrow little streets.

#1 it feels like you're missing the foreground that makes it feel like a city scene. a low angle with those two boxes as a close up foreground element with the building behind would grab me more. then the buildings feel taller and you get more sky for a background I also bet this photo would work better with more contrast or maybe in color. it's really flat.

#2 works well. I would have done this in color

#3 the texture makes this one work

#4 needs more building and less sky. I've lost the reason you captured this building. was there a cool piece of stone art? do the windows make a cool pattern?

#5 I'd like to see more building but I see the reason to capture it.

In cases like #4 and #5 I always like to get several shots. more building, close in zoom on good texture and then try something different. then I pick out the best

#6 the angle works for this. I'm iffy on if I'd capture more people, more counter or leave it as is. I think it would pop if you had focused more from the height of the chairs

#7 works well. maybe a touch tighter on the sign or bring it up and follow the rule of thirds with the sign on one of the lines but not doing that doesn't detract that much

It's the mad hatter!!

#1 I love this
#2 love the composition. I like how you can't see all the words I think this makes it more interesting.
#3,4,5 eh not exciting to me.
#6 love the lines and vanishing point.
#7 Cool. Sorry don't know what to say about this one.

The Sigma is still for sale? I still can't afford it but would love it. I'd love to go to old City sometime and take some pics of the colonial row homes and stuff.

I like 6 as well.. reminds me of real diners which are few and far between nowadays.. I can really envision a milk man delivering their milk in the back

cheer.

I like them all but would like to see some things straightened or centered. Like #4.....number 3 as well. Just being picky.#5and#6 work well angled.#1has the left building leaning it seems too. Maybe its just me. Great shots though.

6 is by far, the best shot. Would also be good in color if the interior is dark brown..and the lights are yellow

The best of this series. Nice work!

Why did you cut out some of the words?

A corner of a building...and thats it...interest level: pretty low...and some of the windows start getting cut off...

#4 and #5
Both have a slight halo effect around the edges...were you using a high-pass filter on this by any chance?

The slant actually works for this photo...at times I don't know if I really like it or not...but it does go with the scene so I'll go with liking it...kinda dark...but whatever...bet that place would like to have a copy of this photo...

The slant doesn't work for this scene...

Really good attempts...and you attend a very good school...I attend the school of hard knocks...I mean, after all, I'm simply using a A3000IS...

Can't wait to see more of your stuff here at the forum and lets us know how school is coming along...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back