Photo Blinds

jrasche2003

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello.

Being new to it all my mind has been racing full time. One of the challenges that I recently learned is taking pictures of birds. My set up isn't a huge focal range.. 55-250mm Canon EFS IS. When I went out earlier this week I had set my expectations way to high as to how the pictures of the birds would look. I was hoping for close up, where I really got in the distance, and with my Canon Rebel EOS 300D at 6MP, trying to crop to zoom in on the photo leaves less than desired results.

So I started to think about blinds. If I can get closer, I could possibly get the better shot. So as I start to look online for some inexpensive pop up hunting blinds, I started to look at my home.

Where I am typing right now is what for many years was called the computer/cat room-until I lost my cat of 19 years in April. I have no plans to get another cat (it was too hard putting two cats down-way too attached), so I have cleared the room of cat gear. One of the things that I gave my cats was a window perch, which looked out into the back yard where I have three bird feeders spaced out in sort of triangle pattern. With that perch gone, I have a nice area to set up. There are a couple smaller trees near the house that the birds will perch on. When I look straight out, a very small poplar tree or ash tree sits probably about 10 feet from the window.

So it dawned on me.. why not make a blind using my window? I could set a tripod up, open the storm and screen, clean the interior glass very well for winter shots, and in the spring I could open up. So I am thinking of going to the thrift store and purchasing some blankets to cover the window, cutting an opening for the camera and one for viewing.

My question is, do you think that will work? I would love to know if there are others out there that have been creative in creating blinds so that they too could get pictures of birds and other critters somewhat closer but not scaring them. If it is something that is plausible, I am going to make a birdtopia out of that backyard area near the window. I always get a ton of birds in the winter.. in the spring/summer it dies down a bit because of 3 Cooper Hawks that come back to the neighbors yard each year to hunt.

I get my ideas alot from others, and since I joined this forum only a few days ago, I have been so overjoyed at the amount of help that I have been given. I honestly feel as though I am among friends that want to see me succeed in my refound joy of photography.

So.. give me your ideas!! Show me pictures too!!!! :)

-Jess

Hi Jess,

I spend some of my winter coffee breaks doing just what you are suggesting.

As long as you are quietly standing/sitting at the tripod the birds don't care about your presence :)

But adding a blanket might extend the time you can spend shooting...

Depending on the light conditions and time of day I have reflections in the glass such that I don't bother shooting.

Which way is your window facing ?

Mine is facing south so the best I can do is shoot in the morning and late afternoon with side light. Noonish on a sunny day produces quite a harsh back light.

Basically what I have done is installed two chains on the eve of my house. On one I have a suet feeder, on the other a seed feeder. In the summer I add a hummingbird feeder.

Between the two sources of food I have wired a branch. This will give the birds a natural perch to stage on before feeding. Believe me, you will quickly tire of viewing pictures of birds on a feeder :)

Tongue.jpg

Hummeronbranch.jpg

Malesapsucker.jpg

Thrasher-1.jpg

6Feb2011chickadeeE9.jpg

Snowywoodpeckerlesswire.jpg

Have fun and post your results :)

Cheers, Don

Oh my, your pictures are beautiful!!! :) My window faces west but we have a ton of tall tree's and bush cover on the west so in the morning it doesn't really come near the window until probably noonish I would guess (depending on the time of year of course). I do know that around my window I don't get a ton of sun due to the lack of grass behind my house. haha I think really the only sun I get there is a south sun shining from 1-3pm. Mostly it's not sunny in that spot.

Your idea of hanging feeders from the eve is an awesome idea! Thank You!!!!

Here is a bird feeder about 5 feet west and 5 feet north of the window. You can see the southern sun from behind the camera. This was taken this weekend with my new camera standing on my deck about 15 feet from it.. birdy head just out of focus.
8363296322_8dbe9ab07b.jpg

This is a shot directly out of the window with a point and shoot. That is the small tree I was talking about, in the background you can see the amount of trees and bushes back there.
2220205288_a0570cd3d7.jpg

And finally a shot in the middle of the yard facing west during spring/summer.. more trees still.. with a crappy point and shoot again.
8371164894_1a2b271ae8.jpg

I can't wait to try the house as a blind!!! Thanks for posting!!!

Use the house, use the car in in the driveway, just sit still in a lawn chair... as long as you have feeders out the birds will get used to you and come in close. If you want to blend in a bit more to get more in closer stop in at an army surplus store and get one of the camo netting covers and just toss that over yourself anywhere you go to look for birds.

Once you start feeding and they get used to you they will come in real close... a few from my yard feeder set up with me standing in the driveway holding the lens on a monopod.
396738661.jpg

315070212.jpg

Most reactions

Back