photo comparison (which one do you prefer?)

TNHphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I was in North Carolina this past weekend and was testing out my new camera. I'm a newbie. I'm in need of a little advice. Which photo do you all prefer?

$1400389_10102336446983319_1357507869_o.jpg

$894778_10102336447936409_2135203878_o.jpg

Thanks!

I'm actually not sure, that's why I was asking. I'm hoping others will weigh in. The first has bokeh, the second is all in focus. Which image do you prefer?

I've been staring at them for too long, and I can't decide. I'd like outside opinions, if possible.

Neither, because the flowers in the foreground are under exposed and not well separated from the background.

Some diffused flash or reflected light on the flowers would have helped a lot.

Some post process image editing could help.

Lew, I guess the first photo feels brighter to me. But the second photo feels sharper. Like Keith says, neither feels perfect though. I'm just trying to determine which of the two is a better photograph.

Say you had to submit this to a blog or magazine (which I don't)...and you could only send one...which would you send? That's what I'm trying to determine.

It's like asking someone else what ice cream flavor they like best, it is meaningless to you.

Look at each element in the image, the mountains, their position in the frame the way they interact, the exposure, the focus
then repeat that with the flowers
the how do the elements interact?

It's not enough to like something or not like it.
You have to know why.

Lew Lorton Photography | Semiotics of Images - why some images are more comfortable than others -Part 2

crap...im screwed. I have NO idea why I like moose tracks ice cream.
I guess i will just be forever unfulfilled.

that was a pretty good blog post Lew. its actually got me hitting the "next post" button.

Last edited:
You have to choose what is the key tone and the key interest. To me the red flowers are nothing special, you can see it anywhere. The layers of hills is what makes this place special, not the flowers. The flowers on the foreground is more of a technicality, the way to underline the perspective and give some SECONDARY point of interest, draw you into the picture. I have no problem with the flowers underexposed, because you had to expose it for the key tone. Therefore in my view the second image is much more preferable. The main point of interest is at least in focus. I would have framed the image differently though to reduce the foreground, give it some wider perspective and underline the beauty and power of the landscape. Just my 2p. You may disagree.

$894778.jpg

Neither because the exposure looks off in both. I like the composition better in the second because with a bit more sky I think the balance is better.

I like the composition with the flowers in the foreground and the rolling hills off in the distance; but what it looks like might have happened is that the camera's meter was reading the light off in the distance, indicated that the lens needed to be closed down some to a smaller aperture, so it didn't let in enough light for the flowers in the foreground. I think it can be tricky shooting into mixed lighting, and maybe some adjustment to the images could improve the quality.

What I'm getting from Lew's posts is to be thinking about the 'why', so you can evaluate your own photos. I don't know that that's necessarily easy, to be objective and look at your photos and figure out which are better. I think it took time to learn for me, and even now if I'm having trouble and the more I look the more I can't decide, I make myself put it down and walk away! Then when I come back to it later on (another day/days later) I often know right away what was wrong or what is better.

What are we supposed to be looking at in this picture? the flowers in the foreground or the hills in the background?

It's hard to tell from either of these pictures.

The flowers are in focus but they are sort of jammed into the bottom of the image - so we're getting mixed messages here.
Things in focus must be important because you focused on them but you jammed them into the bottom so they can't be that important.
The mountains take up a lot of space but they aren't in focus.
What conclusion must the viewer come to?

I have no idea, either.

Rule 1- before anything, know what you are taking a picture of and make your entire composition around that.
Rule 2 - until you know better, give the important stuff the most prominent place and space in your picture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back