Photo Critique Request

norm280

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to move from the family photographer to something more... Any feedback on the following pictures would be greatly appreciated.

LonelyTree.jpg

HiddenOceanForum.jpg

Flower-Forum.jpg

BoyRunningonBeach-Forums.jpg

BeachScene-Forum.jpg

Stream-Forum.jpg

I definitely like the kid running on the beach photo! Nice capture. The small waterfall is really neat too.

What camera are you taking these with? In all honesty, they all look hazy (not quite out of focus, but hazy..), grainy, washed out, and just odd overall.

Mark

What camera are you taking these with? In all honesty, they all look hazy (not quite out of focus, but hazy..), grainy, washed out, and just odd overall.

Mark

Funny, I was gonna ask the same questions. I couldn't tell though if it was just my eyes messing w me cause I'm on my iPod touch and the screen in smaller. They are still very pretty but I agree there are a few things that need tweeking

Since people asked about camera, I peeked in the EXIF.

exif said:
# Camera Make = FUJIFILM
# Camera Model = FinePix S5700 S700

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fuji-S5700-FinePix-Digital-Camera/dp/B000RAHBXC"]Amazon.com: FinePix S5700 Digital Camera: Camera & Photo[/ame]

It's a decent little point and shoot or 'bridge' camera with a superzoom lens. Generally they have less than stellar IQ, but OP's pics aren't really bad. The 2nd one looks sharp. The shot of the kid running looks like a close crop, with noise being very visible.

For composition, I like seeing more horizontally framed shots in landscapes, going vertical only if you have to. I like that you're trying different things and I like the simplicity of the first one, as well as the use of the rule of thirds.

Keep working at it OP. Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you.

Last edited:
I see what looks like veiling glare from the camera's lens, or a slightly dirty, hazy lens that needs a careful cleaning. The flower closeup, one of the beach shots, and the scene of the water rushing over the boulders all show some type of lens veiling, or a dirty lens causing diffusion of the highlights over into the shadow areas of the scenes. So, I'd start by making sure the lens is as clan as can be. Keep at it. Read, study,shoot,evaluate,practice, keep going...some day you'll be the serious shooter you want to be!

all of them, with the slight exception of the kid running, lacks a strong focal point. Kinda looks like you held the camera up to a nice landscape and pressed the button.

I also agree with the lack of vibrancy and haze issue.

Keep at it.

p!nK

Thank you for the feedback. I am using a Fujifilm S700. I know not the best quality camera, but about all I can afford right now.

Thank you for the feedback.

The one of my son on the beach is a crop shot, trying not to get too close, however it is an older shot that was saved in JPG and I am not sure how many generations of compression it has gone through. I may have lost the original quality image by now.

I like the flower and creek. It looks like you enjoy taking the same type of shots I do.

The last picture looks awesome.

Thank you for the positive feedback. I got a bit down after the first round of comments. I realize most were positive as far as composition goes, but most were very very negative about the quality of the camera. Makes me feel like no matter how good my comp is, if I don't have the camera which can capture my visions, there's no real point in taking the shots.

The 3rd and the last are the best. I'd do a little research into composition. Things like the rule of thirds and the perceived motion in a picture. If the view is scanning around a shot for some point of interest and doesn't find it right away, in my opinion, the shot didn't work.

The last picture looks awesome.

Thank you for the positive feedback. I got a bit down after the first round of comments. I realize most were positive as far as composition goes, but most were very very negative about the quality of the camera. Makes me feel like no matter how good my comp is, if I don't have the camera which can capture my visions, there's no real point in taking the shots.

You can take great shots with almost any camera. Sure there are limitations but I had a cool pix that i took some real good shots with. I used a tripod alot too. Dont feel bad but if you feel that you out grow a peice.. go and replace it when you can. The last too are me fav.. and the others are as already posted.

Most reactions

Back