photo critique

laam999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm just wondering if you guys would help me by critiqueing the photos on my flickr account? You can post any comments, advice or noticable problems with my images either here of on the comments page on the photo. Thanks for your time guys.

(here is the link) http://www.flickr.com/photos/24216971@N08/

-laam-

It would be much better if you were to post say 2-5 of what you think are your best images here. Effective critique takes time, and it's much easier to provide on a small number of images, which are embedded right in the thread.

I'm nowhere near a professional photographer, so feel free to take my short critique with a grain of salt. One thing I noticed right away is that most of them have the subject centered or slightly off-centered in the photo.

Centered is fine, off to the side is fine, but slightly off-centered looks a little sloppy to me if it's not done right. This one for example:
2315427092_69e2a0ce3d.jpg

Would have looked a lot better had the light been centered in the middle of the photo, or possibly even off to the side a bit more provided you had a better looking, more visible background.

Same goes with this one:
2670020587_1fe4475a92.jpg

It's not a very exciting picture, the horizon is crooked, the towers are crooked, the towers are a bit off center again.. this one would have benefited greatly from a little post processing. Your profile says it's OK to edit your photos, so here's an example:

1216378930.png

I didn't do a wonderful job on it or anything, but it helps make a rather dull, lifeless subject a bit more dramatic. All I did was adjusted the curves and levels a smidgen and added a faint vignette. Instead of taking the picture as if it was just two concrete towers in a pile of rubble, try to take the photo as if you were standing in the middle of Chernobyl and you're trying to capture the decay of the city.

Now, this one and the other car photos, I would have made sure to include the entire car in the photo, it looks weird cropped off like that. The back of the Land Rover behind your car should probably out of the frame as well. I absolutely love the colors in that photo though as well as the perspective.

2670845428_eaa76b016a.jpg

Anyway, like tirediron said, post a few of your favorites.

Last edited:
I agree - but I say pick one! A single photo that you think is either your best work or where you liked the sight, but feel that you failed to capture it in the camera.
That is more telling of skills and easier to fully critique than a lot of photos becuse of a few things

1) many times if you make a mistake it is one that you will be repeating over and over - so you only need to show one shot and then apply lessons learnt

2) most people don't have the time to fully critique a lot of photos - for whilst all photos will have similar characteristics there are elements in each that are unique and often different ways of solving a problem in each case - so some people are put off by a long series of shots.

Argh, I just posted a really long reply thankingarcooke ad explaining a few comments then posting pics with explinations of why i like them but the blost post never went through!! oh well here are the 2 pics again

2675277808_c41ce12655.jpg

2670844194_dbdb584043.jpg

Now that you chose two photos out of your flickr-collection to have them critiqued, I moved your thread to the General Gallery, for that's where it belongs now.

With regards to the portrait photo, I must say she is giving you a very, very nice smile, which I like a lot, however the use of pop up flash produced this harsh shadow to the right of her face, which is not quite so nice, and you cropped off her one hand at her wrist, which is a no-no - never crop through any joints.

C&C per req:

1. Very nicely done selective colouration; I'm a big fan of this technique. I think one thing which might improve the image would be to colour the frames of the glasses as well as the reflection in the lenses; right now they blend into the B&W grass a little too well.

2. Agree with LaFoto's comments. I think perhaps the face is little over-exposed, maybe 1/2 stop. Perhaps a 'head and shoulders' crop would improve this image.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary
John

thanks for the advice about framing through joints, i never knew that ^_^ any one have anymore tips etc?

yo laam999 your awesome what camera do you use and what program or programd for everything

Thanks Blackbelt94!! I use a canon 350D mostly with the 18-55mm kit lese, but sometimes the 50mm f1.8 prime.

To edit I use 3 programs

Lights edits - colour, contrast saturation ect - i use Lightroom

Heavy edits - such as the slelvcitve colouring I use Photoshop CS3

HDR - I use photomatix

Hope that helps. I'm glad you like - really its pleased me :)

anyone else have anycomments or ways to improve?

Most reactions

Back